Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I look like I'm four months pg, which is really noticeable considering I'm only 116 lbs. What's the best path to a smaller midriff? What have you had success with? How long will it likely take?

TIA

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
I'm looking for the answer to this one too... my last baby was wayyyy too long ago to really justify the sad state of my tummy. One thing I started, at the suggestion of a yoga teacher was to inhale as I kegel and then hold the kegel as I exhale against pursed lips. It makes you sort of crunch down against some of those lower abdominal muscles and you can do it anywhere, anytime. Very low key but I am noticing some changes already!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
pilates seems to be a winner from others posts. i have just started and am still not super consistent, so can't really give testimony, but the winsor pilates is good so far and i have had MUCH success with callanetics after births but sadly lost my callanetics book and videos in a move.
:

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got the book "Lose Your Mummy Tummy" by Julie Tupler out of the library but didn't try any of the exercises. I'm off to buy the video now, hopefully I actually try that. I'll let you know if it works. Before and after shots? Yuck.

·
Registered
729 Posts
isnt it tupler who says not to do normal crunches and stuff? it can make even more of a bulge?

my baby is 6 months old and I look like I am 6 months pregnant. I weigh the same as I a week before I gave birth.

my husband wants us both to start doing more exersize at home (he already goes to the gym at work). he got a bench, some weights, and one of those big ball thingys. I told him I didnt even know where to begin since I am: bfing (with low supply), pp, and I cant do cardio/areobic due to asthma.

I am all for doing something. I just dont want to make anything worse.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, she says that if you have diastasis, crunches and some pilates moves can make the bulge bigger. She even gives an example in her book of a pilates instructor who never birthed having a "mummy tummy" from all the 100's she does.

I'm anxious to get the video. I really have to do it every day - mostly because I really want results, but also because with the resistance band and shipping it came to almost $50!!!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Wow, I'd never heard of that. Interesting! I know that I always had a weak lower back after the kids were born. That lasted until I was able to kick up my cardio and strengthen my abs enough to support my back. Make sense? I've never done any crunches, etc but I guess the biking & aerobics helped enough.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I found that yoga gave me very nice abs (which I had never liked before). It was the combination of holding a pose for a minute of more, doing poses that strengthen the abs in a "straight" position, poses that strengthened the abs in a twisted postion, and then the addition of stretching and strengthening the back. There are similarities to pilates.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
: or, wait, maybe the eating post is my problem.....
:

I weigh the same as I did at the heaviest of my pregnancy...... over 4 years ago!!!!! I just went shopping and scared myself today, I've got to get rid of this gut.

My Dr. recomended the book "The Insulin Resistance Diet" he said that since I'm carrying almost all my weight in my middle I'm high risk for insulin resistance. sigh...... I'm past the introduction, but I have time to read like I have time to excersize.....
:

·
Registered
420 Posts
No info to share. I was just going to post the same question. I NEVER gained weight in my tummy, but this 2nd pg did me in. I weigh 10 lbs more now than after DS was born.
: And I look very pg. And in certain shirts the wobbly rim around my crater belly button is very noticeable.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I got the Mummy Tummy book and I've been doing the tummy exercises only (the Tuppler Technique) and it's awesome. Really, Glamourfaust, look at the book again before you buy the video. It's super super easy. I don't think the other exercises in the book are worth the video. They're pretty basic. I would think they'd be kinda boring to do.

My belly got really stretched out this last pg (my second) and I had a 2-3 figure diastasis. I checked it this morning after doing the exercises for a few weeks and below my navel it's almost gone and above my navel it's about 1-2 finger. I think that muscle there may actually have torn as I heard a few pops and actually thought my water had broken! We'll see if I can get that fixed with exercise.

I don't do them as often as she recommends but I work on my posture and make sure I'm sitting up and standing straight with my abs tight, pretty much all the time. I also have found that I can get a great ab workout if I put my baby in the Bjorn and walk with my abs really tight and pulled high.

The other thing I've been doing is this video called Quick Fix Postnatal Workout. It has 3 10 minute workouts, one for arms, one for abs and one for legs. I've been skipping the abs because it has crunches. You can use regular waterbottles as weights. It's fast and not difficult, but enough to feel like you're doing something to at least tone, though no one is going to look like a body builder doing these. I bought my 2 yo dd little water bottles and she sort of does it with me. Until she gets bored.

I've also just started to go to post natal yoga classes. The problem with these is that they're pretty scattered b/c people bring their babies, but that's also what's great about them, too. I wouldn't be able to go if I couldn't bring the babe. It's helping me get stretched out and working on my core.

Another good thing about Mummy Tummy is she describes how you should be getting up from a laying down position and getting out of your chair, etc. for back health and to keep your diastasis from getting bigger. This is helping me a lot.

Ok, I wrote a novel! The other thing I thought I'd mention is at this point I'm not even worrying about the scale, just getting strong and toned. I figure if I eat healthfully and try to keep sugar out of my diet I will at least know I'm doing the best diet for breastfeeding and will worry about fat later.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, that's great news! I'll have to get the book out of the library again and have a look at it with the video. The hardest thing is just doing them and cutting out sugar.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Is this Mummy Tummy book geared towards women in the first few mo after birth?

My son is now 2.5 yo. so I don't have to worry about immediate post partum issues...

I've been doing abs-focused pilates exercises I found online, but if some of those are bad, maybe I should check out this book? Or should I not worry if I don't have diastasis? I don't know what diastasis is, so I guess I don't have it.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
i got rid of my diastasis which i could fit 3 fingers in by laying on my tummy and grabbing my feet and rocking back and forth like 20 times it takes like 1 m inute and mine was gone in like 3 sessions (probably 3 or 4 minutes total) i didnt do the sessions all in one day tho but in like 4 days... it is very hard to do tho (uncomfortable) and i dont even know if its safe for your back cuz i made it up myself, so use at your own risk, i cant even fit my pinky finger in between the muscles, now i can do pilates and situps with out making the bump bigger!!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by guerrillamama
Is this Mummy Tummy book geared towards women in the first few mo after birth?

My son is now 2.5 yo. so I don't have to worry about immediate post partum issues...

I've been doing abs-focused pilates exercises I found online, but if some of those are bad, maybe I should check out this book? Or should I not worry if I don't have diastasis? I don't know what diastasis is, so I guess I don't have it.
check this out to see if you have diastasis:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ghlight=tupler

In her book, Tupler said she helped a grandmother get rid of her tummy!

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glamourfaust
check this out to see if you have diastasis:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ghlight=tupler

In her book, Tupler said she helped a grandmother get rid of her tummy!
Holy sh**, those hurt!

So, I'm thinking I must not have diastasis, even after two sections, because I don't feel any "dip". Or maybe there's just too much fluff in the way to notice. Either way, I'm going to keep doing those, because I can really feel the burn, even after only one round.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
You can feel if you have it. If you're laying down you can press your fingers horizontally across your belly until you find the end of your muscles. On my belly it's pretty obvious where they stop, there's a small ridge and then a dropoff.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetpea333
i got rid of my diastasis which i could fit 3 fingers in by laying on my tummy and grabbing my feet and rocking back and forth like 20 times it takes like 1 m inute and mine was gone in like 3 sessions (probably 3 or 4 minutes total) i didnt do the sessions all in one day tho but in like 4 days... it is very hard to do tho (uncomfortable) and i dont even know if its safe for your back cuz i made it up myself, so use at your own risk, i cant even fit my pinky finger in between the muscles, now i can do pilates and situps with out making the bump bigger!!
I like this quick fix idea! Do you grab your feet over your head or behind your back. Where did you get this idea?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glamourfaust
I like this quick fix idea! Do you grab your feet over your head or behind your back. Where did you get this idea?
over my back, ive also tried laying on my stomach with my arms outstretched in front of me as high as i can get them and lifting my legs as high as i can get them and rocking about 20 times it seems a little easier, but i tried this after i fixed the diastasis the first exercise i mentioned, but it feels the same on my belly when im doing it , i just made it up, i was thinking there must be a quicker way and it just made sense if i go into that position my belly muscles will stick out and by rocking on them it will push them inwards, and it did and it stayed

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Ok, someone else has to try this and tell me it works before I'll do it!
My belly is still sore and I'm too scared!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts