Mothering Forum banner

best for breastfeeding?

953 Views 15 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  CalebsMama05
I am new to babywearing & there are so many choices!!

Can someone tell me what kind of carrier works best for BFing, mainly in public (like church)?

I dont mind buying more than one kind, I just want one that will work for trips to church, shopping, etc. that I can discreetly BF & one that will be comfortable for day wearing at home ... thats not to hard on my lower back.

Any suggestions?

See less See more
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
subscribing... I was just going to post a thread asking the same thing!

I have KKAFP that is not working well for BF at this point and Sutemi that isn't made for little babies.
i have a maya wrap thats supposed to be good for bf'ing an infant but ds is almost 3months old and we STILL havent mastered it. i do use a nojo sling (padded)for quick trips.
I HIGHLY recommend nursing in a wrap. Wraps have probably the highest learning curve (I was way intimidated until somone showed me), but they can't be beat for comfort and versatility... and discretion, if that's an issue in church. You can use a stretchy wrap like a moby (super soft and comfy), but a woven wrap like a Didymos or an Ellaroo will last you longer, since they can hold a lot more weight.

I just learned to nurse in a wrap about a month ago, and I'm kicking myself for not teaching myself earlier. It's so incredibly convenient.
I've always found the Mei Tai easiest to nurse in because you can quickly lower it then tighten it back up without taking your baby out. I haven't found a way to do that in a wrap. Would love to hear suggestions...

Any ring sling is a snap to nurse in as well, it's just not as comfy as a mei tai for longer outings.
After my son was born I bought several carriers to find my favorite (Hotsling pouch, ring sling, mei tai, and Ergo). I found that I like them all for different reasons. By far, my favorite for nursing in public is my Sleeping Baby Productions ring sling. The adjustability factor is perfect for nursing, and the tail adds extra privacy. It is a little uncomfortable after more than an hour of use. For long carries, I use a two shoulder carry in the mei tai or Ergo. Good luck finding your perfect carrier.
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabigus
I HIGHLY recommend nursing in a wrap. Wraps have probably the highest learning curve (I was way intimidated until somone showed me), but they can't be beat for comfort and versatility... and discretion, if that's an issue in church. You can use a stretchy wrap like a moby (super soft and comfy), but a woven wrap like a Didymos or an Ellaroo will last you longer, since they can hold a lot more weight.

I just learned to nurse in a wrap about a month ago, and I'm kicking myself for not teaching myself earlier. It's so incredibly convenient.

did u learn to nurse in a wrap by trial and errror or did someone help. i watched the maya video and went to www.zolo.com but for some reason i cant get the hang of it.
Ring slings, hands down. No competition, IMNSVHO.

To learn, you just have to spend a little time at home in private doing it. Maybe in front of a mirror. Pull down the inside rail, pull up the outside rail, and voila, you've got private nursing space (most important for religious venues).

Shortest learning curve there is. No untying and retying. Totally adjustable positions, ie., baby can nurse laying down, sitting up, any position at all. (As opposed to MTs which are totally one-trick ponies, IMagainNSVHO).

And yeah, I think unpadded are most versatile.

Do you have a local La Leche League meeting to attend? Am sure you could get help there ...
See less See more
I've taught baby wearing classes now for many years, and still find that for breastfeeding your baby the ring style slings work best.

Padded or un-padded is your choice. It does take practice. Recommend you start at home before attempting in public.

My fav unpadded is still the Maya Wrap: www.mayawrap.com

My fav padded is SlingEZee: www.slingezeebabysling.com

See less See more
It's the only sling I have experinece with, but I LOVE it!!!!

www.heart2heart.ca
this may be easier: http://www.heart2heart.ca/sling-story.html

It's very adjustable, comfortable, and i've just recently mastered nursing while walking when out. (you slide sling down into a football style hold)

With this sling you can go from regular caryying position and into a cross-cradle hold to nurse one side, and a football hold to nurse the other without ever having to change baby's position in the sling itself- the sling is that adjustable.
I like a pouch sling best for breastfeeding in,
nursing in sling
if you click the link you can see a picture of me nursing my babe in the top corner
See less See more
Another complete and total sling addict here for WRAPS! No contest here, really.

Complete coverage...two shouldered carry.....I LOVE LOVE LOVE it for Church.

I also like a Mei Tai for ease, but sometimes can have "side coverage" issues.

I used only a Mayawrap for my first two (that's all I had!), and it definitely worked, but a baby can throw off the tail and you are then exposed. And one shouldered carries are not comfy for me with an older baby for as long as it takes mine to nurse. Now the new Maya Tai by Mayawrap gives awesome coverage for a nursing babe, too. And it is a two shouldered carrier.

Also, I find that wraps don't have a high learning curve at all in front carries. It was sooooo much easier for me than getting good at a ring sling. (Back carries do have a higher learning curve IMO.)

Truly if you want an uninterrupted nursing session (where they latch on and off at will and drift off to sleep "milk drunk") then you really could use a wrap because when they become dead weight, it will not kill your back if you are in a two shouldered carry.
See less See more
i think a lot of it is personal preference, but i am able to nurse easily in my MT, wraps (moby and easycare), and pretty much any ring sling. like others said, a RS might be the place to start because the learning curve is generally easier than for a wrap. but wraps are really great too...

i can do it in a pouch too, but i don't find it as easy because it's not adjustable.
Another one for the WRAP - I love it and nursed dd in it until she weaned at 34 months! I couldn't master nursing with the ring sling or the ergo with ds - but then I have rather floppy boobs
, so I need to support them when nursing, hence the wrap, also the coverage with the double cross means no one can see unless they really peer in to see whats going on. So the wrap hands down.
See less See more
I think that the ring sling or a pouch has the lowest learning curve (I love my wraps, but a lot of folks are intimidated by them and at least you can get started with one thing before moving on to the next). Also, I'm pretty curvy with nice big mama boobies and I have a really hard time nursing ds in a wrap/MT or anything else where he's sitting rather than lying/cradling. If I lower the wrap or MT low enough for him to nurse w/o me holding my breast his bottom's below my crotch!
so your post baby nursing boobies are a big factor in what carrier you can nurse in

good luck!
See less See more
I had a ringsling for ds#1 and learned to nurse him in it in 5mins flat.
*ETA* I got mine from sleeping baby productions as well. I got the slinky rayons though and it is so slippery. I'm thinking about buying a new one with a different fabric...

I have a pouch this time too so i'll be trying out both and picking my favorite
See less See more
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.