Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about going gluten-free to see if it clears up or helps my hralth problems. I bake about once a week and always use whole wheat pastry flour. What is the best gluten-free alternative?

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Spelt has gluten (it's wheat).

There are three or four different mixes you could use, but my favourite is rice/potato/tapioca 3:1:1 . Plus you need to add varying amounts of xanthan gum depending what you're cooking.

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
There are a lot of different flour blends, optimized for different applications. You'd use a very different blend of flours for a bread, cookies or a pie crust. The best resource I've found is Living Without magazine. Their recipes never fail to wow me and my family. Bette Hagman's Gluten Free Gourmet books are good, too. She does oversimplify things by advising two flour blends that she uses a lot; there we get in to the "average" blend not being best for any specific recipe. But, she does alter those in many of her recipes - she uses two cups of the flour blend plus 1/4 cup of some other flour and two tablespoons of another. Most importantly, though, she talks about the properties of each of the flours, which can be really helpful for you to troubleshoot your recipes.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
We end up using a flour combo with tapioca, rice, garfava, and sorghum flour in it, with a little xantham gum to help it rise...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.