Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
and just keep an eye out for mold growing in the room it is in...i ran one while my daughter had whooping cough and my entire back wall, mattress and bedframe got moldy. granted it was the rainy season here (and it was a tiny bedroom), but i don't think i will use one again....

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I agree about the warm mist/vaporizer vs. cool mist/ultrasonic. The EPA has a run down on the differences: http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/humidif.html ... opinions differ but all things considered I much prefer the warm.

Vaporizers are incredibly simple devices, so the best one is really the one that's easiest to clean, IMO, and possibly the one with a big tank if you're running it on high all the time or something. I look at each one in the store and try to find one with a fill-hole in the tank that's big enough to fit my hand in to scrub it out.

If mold is growing, you may not need a humidifier...do you know the relative humidity in the room where you're using it? I'd get a meter (probably Home Depot or Lowes would have one) to check it...you want it between 40% and 60%. 60%'s a little high, but in the winter I'll push it up that high, generally speaking 50%'s good to shoot for.

That and regular cleaning should keep you mold free.

·
Premium Member
10,793 Posts
The Allergist my son sees doesn't recommend one at all.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ruffian View Post
I agree about the warm mist/vaporizer vs. cool mist/ultrasonic. The EPA has a run down on the differences: If mold is growing, you may not ne...[/TD] [/TR][/TABLE] That's a brilliant point!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.