Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fear I have a B12 deficiency, I read a few minutes ago that numbness in hands and feet is an advanced sign. I have numbness in my hands that I had attributed to carpal tunnel. I'm also low-energy (who isn't?) and find briuses on my legs often without recalling any injury to them.<br><br>
I'm a pescatarian, like a vegatarian who eats fish. My fish intake is pretty rare, though, and limited to eating out. I also wanted to eat less, since tuna is the most affordable fish but there's the old mercury thing.<br><br>
I eat plenty of cheese on less-than-healthy things like pizza or Auntie Annie's macaroni. I don't drink milk. I will eat eggs but we go through periods of eating them for a week and then not eating them for a while.<br><br>
I'm willing to eat meat if I have a deficiency. Are any meats better than others? I'm feeling a bit aversive to bringing it back into my diet, and oddly enough I think I prefer meat of the Pig variety rather than Chicken (I would have thought Chicken would be preferred by ex-vegetarians but... uck...). Or does it not matter? I had thought that since my diet wasn't very strict I was ok on the B-12 but I do wonder. I have a supplement but I'm very bad at taking them.<br><br>
Thoughts on better meats to eat? Or does it seem that any would do? Or do I even need to eat it if I eat more fish? Should I take flouridix (sp?) at the same time?

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
It doesn't sound like your diet is deficient, but you could have an absorption problem. Consider having your doctor test your plasma homocysteine level -- this is an indirect measure of your B vitamin status. If it's fine, then your B12 is probably fine. It's a basic test and probably not very expensive.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts