Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi am not a new parent but will be a new parent to a baby this spring. I have 2 step children that are now 12 and 14, they came into my life when they were only 3 and 5. But i have skipped the diapering stage! We are expecting our baby in march and both my dh and I work. Our older kids are excited to help and my mom will be watching the baby once i return to work. I was thinking covers and prefolds made the most sense but then once I started considering that once i go back to work and other people are going to be changing the baby more they might not want to deal with the prefold issue. are pockets our best bet? my second question is how do you prepare for a new baby when I've read not to buy the whole stash before the baby is here but how do you know how much and what to buy before you have a baby to diaper! I just dont want to be rushing around trying to come up with enough diapers to get through the work week.

TIA

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
First off, grats on the coming baby!

To start off with I'd get a dozen or more prefolds and 3-6 covers. That should be enough to get you through the first few weeks while you slowly stock up on what you really want. This, of course, depends on how long you have before other people start watching the baby and how often you can wash during that time. If you're going to wash less, get more prefolds. A dozen is really a bare minimum, especially for a newborn. The plus side is, prefolds are cheap, so you're not spending an awful lot of money on something that's going to be a small part of your long-term diapering strategy.

After that, when my second child was in diapers we kept a few pockets around for those days when we needed to be out, or someone else was going to be changing diapers, or just for whenever. Diapers seem to have gotten so much more complicated since then! lol When I see peoples stashes now, they're full of AIOs and pockets and one-sizes of all kinds. I'd say research what kinds you think you might like and order one or two of a few of them. When the baby comes, try them out, see what works. Then you'll know what to buy more of. When they say "don't buy the whole stash" they mean don't buy a dozen of one diaper until you know you like it. You don't want to get stuck with a ton of expensive diapers you'll never use because the first one leaked, or because it didn't fit your baby.

But prefolds and covers are a good default to start from. They will work, no matter what.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts