Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I just successfully sewed my first diaper last night using the Mama Bird Pattern and a tacky, old flannel Christmas pillow case. I can't believe it worked ... I've never successfully sewn even a catnip toy -- something always goes wrong (now I wish I'd used a cuter pattern
)...

So, now I want to try making some more large Mama Bird fitteds, but with organic materials. Where are some good places to buy organic cotton and hemp that have reasonable prices (and shipping!)?

I'd also love to use some cutesy patterns or simply colors, but haven't been able to find much organic stuff like that -- I'd want it to be dyed with non-toxic dyes of course... do you know of that sort of thing is even available?

Thanks!

Emily

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I don't know where you can get OC prints & colors, but a place that has a good selection of organics & hemp at reasonable prices is the Fabric Farm (though their website seems to be down right now). You can also get bulk hemp scraps really cheap from Hemp Traders .

Of course, you could always buy undyed fabric & dye your own - it's fun & easy!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great! I didn't know about either of those sites -- I'll have to check out the fabric farm when it's back up and running...

Dying really isn't hard? How expensive is it? How safe?

Thanks!
Emily

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kleinemaus
Great! I didn't know about either of those sites -- I'll have to check out the fabric farm when it's back up and running...

Dying really isn't hard? How expensive is it? How safe?

Thanks!
Emily
Nope, it's not hard at all.
And if you mix your own colors from the 3 basics (turquoise, fuchsia and yellow), it's pretty cheap. The best place to get fiber reactive dyes IMHO is Dharma Trading Co. And it's safe too. Though if you're really worried about safety, you could always just use Kool-Aid to dye with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.