Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were 18 and pregnant with your first child, what gift would you really like someone to give you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,450 Posts
Some sort of infant seat. I love the Fisher Price Rocker (infant to toddler) It's so nice to have a safe place to set the baby down.

Also, Sophie the Giraffe is nice. It's an expensive toy that you kinda want, but wouldn't normally spend the money on.

Those big gauzy blankets are awesome! I can't remember what they are called... but look up swaddling blankets... etsy has some cute prints, but I don't know if they are as soft as the popular brand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,457 Posts
If you are close in distance, the gift of time. Not so she could necessarily drop off the babe and go out with friends (although that might be a nice break) but some one to kind of mentor in a non pushy/judgemental this is what worked for me but this is what works for others kind of way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,753 Posts
how pregnant?

If she is close to labor I would suggest things that are more for her, but if she is just getting started Id suggest baby items that she might need.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34me View Post

If you are close in distance, the gift of time. Not so she could necessarily drop off the babe and go out with friends (although that might be a nice break) but some one to kind of mentor in a non pushy/judgemental this is what worked for me but this is what works for others kind of way.
I'm about an hour away. I've been making supportive comments on Facebook, though. (She's not married.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

how pregnant?

If she is close to labor I would suggest things that are more for her, but if she is just getting started Id suggest baby items that she might need.
She's 3 months along.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bena View Post

Dr. Sears The Baby Book? Would she read it? i found that book to be my "go to" reference many, many times.
I think she would read it, thanks!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcommercial View Post

Some sort of infant seat. I love the Fisher Price Rocker (infant to toddler) It's so nice to have a safe place to set the baby down.

Also, Sophie the Giraffe is nice. It's an expensive toy that you kinda want, but wouldn't normally spend the money on.

Those big gauzy blankets are awesome! I can't remember what they are called... but look up swaddling blankets... etsy has some cute prints, but I don't know if they are as soft as the popular brand.
Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,753 Posts
The blankets are made by Adien + Anias.They rock.

I wanted to add that I would get her a baby carrier it I was looking for the best gift.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
309 Posts
I was 18 when I had my oldest. My favorite gift was a sling. It was my introduction into baby wearing, and it was wonderful. A massage was another gift that was amazing. It was the most enjoyable day of my entire pregnancy. I really could have used a good book on breastfeeding. I read about nearly everything else imaginable but just assumed nursing would come naturally and didn't think to prepare myself. We had a really tough time and our nursing relationship ended very prematurely because of it. I was more prepared with DS and we still have a great nursing relationship at 11 months (and hopefully will for a long time to come).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
620 Posts
Depends.... I was 19 when DS was born, and very broke, so I was always hoping people would buy me big things, like a changing table or a crib (which I'm glad no one bought, since we ended up co-sleeping anyways). Clothes are nice, even just goodwill or consignment sale clothes for everyday. Diapers are practical, especially if you can afford to start her out on cloth ones, or just a big box of disposables. Baby carrier would have been great. I loved getting a nursing pillow, it was so handy when DS was little.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
A good baby carrier!!

The baby book can be picked up at goodwill for a couple bucks, and is a great reference.

If she is interested in cloth diapers that is a great route to go. As a first time mom with no virtually no budget for baby stuff, the hugest blessing has been our friend who passed down cloth diaper stuff. She got some of it from a diaper service that was discarding stained & worn ones, and they look pretty sad, but we have had to spend almost no money on diapering which is amazing.

All I felt like I needed were diapers and a carrier, and those were the things people didn't buy from the registry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
276 Posts
In the pregnant stage I would have loved pampering things like massages, pedicures that type of thing. For practicality I would have liked baby items that are useful over a book since money might be an issue at 18. But for me I am not a book type person so getting me a book on parenting would have just been a waste of money.

If you know if she is planning on CD then maybe some CD, bouncer seat was a life saver for us since DD didn't like to be worn at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
899 Posts
I was 18 when I had my first baby, I wish I had been exposed to Dr. Sears/AP back then. The only kids I knew whose parents were anything close to AP were such horrible bratty children and I did not want mine turning out that way. Also it would have been nice to have had someone after the birth who understand depression and wouldn't have left me to sit in my bedroom floor with a newborn, both of us crying and me in pain from my nice episiotomy.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmaraMonillas View Post

A good baby carrier!!

The baby book can be picked up at goodwill for a couple bucks, and is a great reference.

If she is interested in cloth diapers that is a great route to go. As a first time mom with no virtually no budget for baby stuff, the hugest blessing has been our friend who passed down cloth diaper stuff. She got some of it from a diaper service that was discarding stained & worn ones, and they look pretty sad, but we have had to spend almost no money on diapering which is amazing.

All I felt like I needed were diapers and a carrier, and those were the things people didn't buy from the registry.
Baby carrier as in sling-type thing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,757 Posts
I second Dr. Sears's The Baby Book. It is such a great resource and is written in such a gentle, non-judgmental way.

Also, since she's 3 months pregnant, I'd vote for a Old Navy or Motherhood Maternity gift card. It's hard to spend money on yourself when you know you have this very expensive baby coming along!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post

Baby carrier as in sling-type thing?
If you have the dough, I'd go for an Ergo or similar, something easy to strap on that will fit baby for a long time. Moby is good for little ones but doesn't work when they get a bit bigger, and pocket slings have the same problem. Maybe you could sniff out some used ones, and give her a variety?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat13 View Post

I second Dr. Sears's The Baby Book. It is such a great resource and is written in such a gentle, non-judgmental way.

Also, since she's 3 months pregnant, I'd vote for a Old Navy or Motherhood Maternity gift card. It's hard to spend money on yourself when you know you have this very expensive baby coming along!
Good idea!
 
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top