Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been pricing around WW flour. Unforcunatly "they" only have sales on white flour during the holidays
So far this is what I've priced out:

resturant supply store- 50lb bag 19.35 PROBLEM I have no where to store nothing to store that much flour in but ends up being .39$ a lb best price
Food lion (cheapest I can find in regular stores)- 5lbs for 3.42= .68$ a lb

I have been buying 25lb bags of white flour at Sam's club (25lbs foe 8.62= $.34 a lb) and mixing it with the 5lb bags. So what's your best price? Someone locally told me Indian groceries have cheap flour so I'm going to go check that out. What about Mexican ethnic groceries? ANy experience with those you would share would be helpful as well

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I store flour in my freezer in those plastic boxes with a handled lid that are made for hanging file folders (they hold about 20 lbs each). They work well, but don't carry them around by the handle.

Also some times if there is a weekly deal on a name brand flour it may include whole wheat even if the ad doesn't specifically mention it. I have gotten WW Gold Medal flour that way a couple times recently.

·
Premium Member
11,209 Posts
Yeah... our local grocery store had all Gold Medal flour 5 pounds for $2 last week, and there were $1 off coupons online... so I got 10 pounds of whole wheat flour for $2.\, or .20 a pound. Check the couponing sticky - that's what helped me!

Dar

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dar View Post
Yeah... our local grocery store had all Gold Medal flour 5 pounds for $2 last week, and there were $1 off coupons online... so I got 10 pounds of whole wheat flour for $2.\, or .20 a pound. Check the couponing sticky - that's what helped me!

Dar
Wow that's great! Unforcunatly our sales have said "select verities" which means only white :eyeroll I can't even get white flour for your sale price here though. It's a very high COL area....wait what thread am I on

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went to the Indian grocery today, wow I was expecting much cheaper prices! The Wheat flour even in bulk was close to $1 a lb so next I'm going to check the Mexican grocery. Man I hate to store 50lbs of wheat

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I don't think I would get the 50 lbs bag unless you can freeze some. I can't find it now but there was a thread awhile back about ww flour going rancid more quickly than white flour. Something to look into anyway.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by slsurface View Post
Wow, those prices look great to me! Even buying in bulk it costs at least 0.90 per pound for whole wheat flour here.
Where do you buy yours? In what size bulk?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by PrettyBird View Post
I don't think I would get the 50 lbs bag unless you can freeze some. I can't find it now but there was a thread awhile back about ww flour going rancid more quickly than white flour. Something to look into anyway.
Good point I didn't know that!

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
My local store had their brand(western family) for 1.59 for 5lb bag. They were having their baking sale and it was also selected variety type thing and they had that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.