Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
15,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ring sling broke (
) and I need to look for a new one. I was never uncomfortable in it (a medium Maya wrap) but I could definately go with a bigger one. Mike was never able to use it at all, and I'd like something he could be comfortable in, too.

We are fat people, and we're also poor so something that I'm liable to find for cheap on eBay or the trading post would be ideal. Any recommendations from larger babywearers?

· Registered
12,176 Posts
Hmmm... and I was gonna rec. a Maya... what about a large? I am 5'5", 255lbs, and I HATE padded slings. They never fit me, and cut into my neck. Maya is waaaaay better imo.

Are you willing to go wrap? If so, check out www.mamatoto.org. Wraps always fit us chubby folk (go for at least 5 metres but less than 6 is my advice), and you can make em yourself for cheap cheap cheap. Basically all you need is fabric - crinkle cotton is good, or microfleece for winter as long as it's not too thick. If you don't sew, buy fabric that is 30-40 inches wide, take two elastic bands to stop the edges from fraying - Mamatoto has detailed instructions. Microfleece is great coz you don't need to sew it at all - it won't unravel.

Good luck!

· Registered
274 Posts
i'm 5'2 and 220lbs and i have a large maya wrap...LOVE IT! i'm just going to move into an ellaroo only b/c if wearing dd for too long in the sling, my back starts to hurt...but will always use my maya wrap for all the basic stuff!! the large is PERFECT!!!

· Registered
15,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I am a bit fatter than you ladies, being 5'1", 250 and a size 20, but thank you for confirming my thoughts on a large Maya wrap. I also really like that tying babies website-- I may be able to find a bit of cloth that long somewhere...we'll see! Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.