Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never posted here before- but I've been babywearing ever since DS was born. I bought a SlingEzee, which I LOVE and DS loves. But the problem is that this sling has to be purchased according to size, so I bought the small for myself. DH can't use the sling
And this is a problem because I am due with #2 any minute now, and I'll have to keep him in the sling most of the time while tending to our 11 month old. #1 goes in the sling every time we go to the store. He will get upset most of the time if you make him ride in the shopping cart. I want a sling that DH can use with our older one, while I carry the newborn. Have any recommendations?

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
In my house there are 3 slings: a Moby wrap, a Hotsling, and an adjustable ring sling (Maya wrap). Papa Bear went looking for a sling ....

"The Moby Wrap is too complicated! Plus, it looks girly!" he said.

"The hotsling won't even go over my broad shoulders!" he complained.

"The Maya Wrap is juuuusstttt right."

Sorry for the Golidlocks spin on it, I couldn't resist.
But, yeah, an adjustable sling is a must - it's economical too since you can both use it and switch off when out for extended periods and the baby is 20 plus pounds, as mine currently is. My dh carries our baby in the Maya wrap anytime, anywhere.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I WISH I could talk DH into wearing DD in anything but that stupid snugli thing from BRU. You might want to look into an Ergo, though. They're also adjustable, and not at all "girlie" which is my DH's biggest isse with slings in general.

·
Registered
116 Posts
An Ergo is great for dads. Dh loves ours! I actually just had a pouch sling made for him for when we're out and about with ou 3-month-old...got navy blue material for it. nak

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
DH won't wear the maya - the tail is too girly or something

He LOVES a pouch, though, especially for a newborn. He would beg me to let him wear DS in the pouch after he nursed to sleep

I'm trying to convince him to try the pouch now, in the hip carry (DS is almost 18mo) So far he just hasn't even tried... he doesn't mind holding him I guess. Me, my arms are too weak!

·
Registered
102 Posts
my partner loves our mei tais. he's a pro with the front carry and has no qualms whatsoever about wearing a lavendar flowered mei tai with purple straps! if your dh is opposed to "girly" looking carriers, i'd recommend the ergo or a mei tai with a more gender-neutral panel on one side and a pattern that you love on the other side. babyhawk makes reversible mei tais and has an amazing selection of prints to choose from: http://www.babyhawk.com/

~jane

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cedars_mum
my partner loves our mei tais. he's a pro with the front carry and has no qualms whatsoever about wearing a lavendar flowered mei tai with purple straps! if your dh is opposed to "girly" looking carriers, i'd recommend the ergo or a mei tai with a more gender-neutral panel on one side and a pattern that you love on the other side. babyhawk makes reversible mei tais and has an amazing selection of prints to choose from: http://www.babyhawk.com/

~jane
:

Babyhawk has camo, skulls and crossbones, and alot of "Manly" patterns.

·
Registered
308 Posts
We compromised at our house. I got an AngelPack with Funky Flowers on one side, and a Steelers football print on the other side. lol He loves to wear dd in it, even volunteered to wear her at the mall a few weeks ago!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
My DH seems to like our Mei Tai best. We have 2 of them and he's always happy to wear them.

He also likes our wrap slings as long as I'm there to help him get into it. I think all the fabric and wrapping intimidates him some.

I htink he likes that he can wear them infront or on his back. He loves carrying my DD on his back and now my youngest DS. He won't touch my pouches or ring slings though.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Lots of dads do better with more structured baby carriers, rather than slings. We had a backpack when the girls were little that DH used- he didn't find the sling comfortable and I didn't find the backpack comfortable. When DS was a baby, we found a structured, padded carrier that his dad used- it could be used as a frontpack or a backpack but he (the grown up) only felt comfy using it as a front pack.

Never mind finding a print everybody likes- in my experience, we needed 2 separate baby carriers anyway because we preferred different styles.

·
Registered
703 Posts
We have ring slings, pouches, a wrap, an ergo,and a mei tai.

My dh will only use the mei tai. He used my floral one until he got his own denim/khaki one. He is a pro at wearing Oscar and I have to say...they're pretty damn cute together!

·
Registered
360 Posts
My vote is the Ergo. Dh loves it. Not girly at all, easy to use, adjustable. We can easily switch between us. And it's oh so comfy for us both. we use it for quick trips to the grocery store and for hiking, very versatile.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I second (or third/fourth/fifth) the Mei Tai! I splurged and ordered a custom Babyhawk. (My first and only unfrugal purchase in 6+ months!) It's a reversible with a MN Vikings fabric on one side and a paisley on the other with brown straps!
I can't wait to get this...DH doesn't know I ordered it, so it's a total surprise! He's been asking to "wear" DD, but he can't because all we have are "small" sized pouches and DH isn't SMALL!

(We tried an Ergo, but the straps weren't big enough to fit around DH's barrel body...)

·
Registered
663 Posts
DH wore our little one in his own Hotsling when DD was an infant. He still uses it often for the hip hold. He used the Mei Tai a bit but now prefers the Ergo. We also have a Moby wrap which he thought wasn't too bad. But it's too stretchy now.

So I second PP's suggestion about showing your DH some slings and let him choose one he'd enjoy using.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think the New Native is best for dads. My husband's had one for 4 years! And wears both our girls.

They have ''masculine'' colors like black, khaki, navy blue, forest green with several sizes for everyone.

Very comfortable, and folds up to fit in my dh's pocket! Simple as ever, which men of course, love!

·
Registered
479 Posts
I think it really depends on your DH, just as it depends on us what we like. He started with the New Native.. hated it, he never felt DS was secure enough. Then we moved to an Ergo.. I read everywhere it was *the* carrier for a guy.. he hated it even more, thought it was too uncomfortable. Who knew he would love my MT and all the tying that goes with it!
He ADORES IT! Im in shock really, but he wont wear it out thinks its too girly. I just bought him a Camo Kozy, new, from FSOT on TBW.. hes SO excited its funny. I also just bought him a hipdaddy hipster in camo/black to wear him on his hip, from cobaltcarriers.com

It really depends on your guy.. DH had to try on like 3 different carriers before he found what was comfortable.
:

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts