Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've recently moved Charlie's crib into our room when he outgrew his swing (farewell old friend...) and he's doing okay in it.
He will NOT fall alseep in it though. He MUST fall asleep in our bed and then be transferred to the crib, where he sleeps for about three hours before coming back to our bed for good.
We're fine with this arrangement for now, I was just wondering that the best time to transfer him from bed to crib is after he falls asleep. Should I wait ten minutes, or an hour, or should I do it immediately?
We can't take the rail off the crib, so even though his mattress is the exact same level of ours, I still have to lift him up over the rail and then put him down. I try not to drop him! So it's not a super smooth transfer. He sleeps through it about half the time. The other half... sometimes I can get him back to sleep by giving him a bottle, and sometimes it's just over with and I have to bring him back to bed.
Ideally I would like to get him to fall asleep in his bed for the first half of the night at least, but for now I am okay with this arrangement. I just don't know if there is an 'ideal' window that he will be less likely to wake up during.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
My best luck is about 5 minutes after she's fallen asleep. Julie always goes to sleep in our bed, too, and then is transfered to her bed. Try running your hand under his butt and toward his head so you can sort of swoop him up over your arm. Oh, and for me anyway, the faster the transfer, the better.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Yep, I had discovered with my son that very soon (no more than 10 minutes) after him falling asleep was the best. Wait too long and they may wake up and be up for a while having had a nice little rest.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts