Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family is already asking what to get our newborn for the holidays. I'm not really sure what to say. We have things like a swing, vibrating chair and playmat. We also have some small toys like HABA rattles and a whoozit.

What are your favorite toys and/or gear for baby's 3 months and up? We have a few things but I'd love to know what other people's favorites are so I know what to ask for and so we don't end up with a bunch of junk that we won't use!
TIA!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Toys that "krinkle" are great! My dd has this long centipede toy where each piece of its body is a different fabric and texture, and the head plays a song if you squeeze it. It might be a Baby Einstein thing, I can't remember. She still enjoys her playmat, and we do have an exersaucer...it takes up a lot of room and she only likes it for about 20 minutes at a time, but it is nice from time to time.

Her favorite "toys" are our two dogs! She loves to watch them eat and play with each other, and is just starting to reach out and pet them...so cute!

·
Registered
616 Posts
I am an infant development therapist so I have to say educational toys. Things like simple shape sorters. You can take the lid off and at 5 or 6 months they start to put the shapes in the bucket. ( a bowl and household items work the same) Also the stacking rings. fisher price has a star set that makes music when the rings go on so it reinforces the stacking. An infant will start by taking them off. Nesting cups are great again they will start by banging them together. Peekaboo blocks are great too they can see whats inside great for mouthing and they seem to grow with the child as they can stack them once they are older. My dd loved these around 5 months and still uses them she just does different things with them now. You can use house hold items for most of them but if they are looking to buy something they are great toys. The pop up toys are good to start with around 8 months they will close the doors. hth
carla

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
First off, lucky you that they are asking you what you need/want!

My ds is 8 months (on the 8th).

What we found great:
- his lambskin
- Ergo baby carrier (still used a kangaroo korner fleece pouch and ring sling @ 3 months)
- crinkly toys
- blocks
- playmat (from Tiny Love)
- He also really liked his Symphony-In-Motion mobile from Tiny Love
- rattles, clutch toys (great for the change table, too! My ds loves to grab his unit - I always try to occupy both hands before he gets his hand in poo!
)
- various "seats" for when I needed to use the bathroom, or otherwise couldn't wear him - a portable swing, a bouncy chair, a bumbo
- board books
- children's music cds - I thought they were just for preschoolers and up, but he responded very early to songs and fingerplay. My faves - Raffi, Kathy Reid-Naiman
- This book is great (I borrowed it from my LLL): Baby Games: The Joyful Guide to Child's Play from Birth to Three Years by Elaine Martin
- Don't know if you live in a cold climate or not, but I love woollens for baby - I love having ds in wool underwear rather than cotton. Got mine from Nordic Woollens.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
We have told family members to get our ds gift certificates to clothing stores or buy him something for any age and we can put it aside for him. At 5 months at Christmas he will be clueless and will have hand me down toys from his big brother. But out of his handmedowns we like the fisher price kick and play vibrating chair. Also a tiny love play mat.

·
Registered
619 Posts
My son loves his wood teething ring. I also am a big fan of Waldorf toys. My son's favorite toy is a little elf doll that has two openings behind the legs, where fingers are inserted to make it walk.

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
We have a few toys that DD plays with but her favorites are any cloth wipe and her gum stimulator.
She LOVES those things! We are working on getting rid of all her plastic ones and converting to wood. If any of our relatives ask (which I doubt they will) I'll be pointing them to sites like playcottage.co mand what not so they have an IDEA of what we would like and then they can go from there.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Try for stuff that will grow w/your dc or last a long time for subsequent kids or that you can pass on and be happy that you got to use it, and pass on something of quality!

I loved for my 2:
wooden rattles and teethers, the ones by haba are great. Actually these are all cool! We have shep, kid hasn't touched it so far (9 mo). We have the blocks, he digs those if soemone else stacks them. He's a demolisher so far
We have a bunch of the rattles, he digs those. We have too much stuff

We have a shopping cart thingee that he likes, and a whoozit that is a car toy. He likes to eat the thomas train, and, well, he'll eat just about anything w/gusto! Babies are so much fun!!

Pretty much anything from Nova natural, Magic Cabin, and the other waldorfy stores is a safe bet...good luck and YAY!!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
oh, drool...we have about five of the Haba clutch/teether tools (he loves Flapsi and Schlingel the best, followed by Knudelschaf), and now I followed your link and was drooling over the older baby/child toys...

·
Registered
945 Posts
I found my exersaucer to be invaluable for a long period of time so I could get a shower (it was in the middle of my bathroom
) We have the Baby Einstein one, not as many light up noisy toys.

Thinking ahead you could get a walking push toy...we have this one. He started using it at about 7 months.

Anything Haba is awesome for us
Anything to teeth on, make noise with, anything that crinkled were all favorites at that age. Balls got to be popular at around 5 months or so.

This is also a little older, but he gets a kick out of it now...

This was a hit when he started pulling up too (although you have to weigh it down, I like it better than a plastic table)

Stacking rings are still a big hit too, as someone mentioned. We have a few sets. Fisher Price and Melissa and Doug.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
My ds 3mo. loves soft books that have the shiny glitter pics. His favorite book is called turtle and friends by Priddy(I think thats the author). Its a cloth book.
Also a nice set of wooden blocks, they can be used for years plus great hand me downs.
Wooden puzzles, the really easy ones that have like 5 pieces also great hand me downs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.