Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now, I'm deciding between the Aquadoula and La Bassine. Anyone have any comments about these or any other tub? I'm 33 weeks tomorrow and feeling really pressured to have one ordered. La Bassine looks great, but doesn't have a heater like the Aquadoula and I'm worried about the water getting cold. Does the water stay warm in inflatable pools? I'm such a novice, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Water stays warm pretty well in inflatable pools, particularly if you get a fabric-backed vinyl table cloth to cover the top with until you are ready to get in. Don't forget to turn up your water heater a week or so before your due date.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
We are using a sevylor electra inflatable pool...i won't pay $100 for the la bassine==too cheap

If you do a search for it-lots of suggestions for keeping the water warm are on here.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Spa-in-a-box. Hands down.

You can set it up weeks in advance and use some bromine and keep the filter and heater on and have a jacuzzi to relax in. Getting on all fours in the water helps relax the uterus and make for good baby positioning. When you are in labor, you can use the pump to dump the water in 5 minutes and refill with a hose from your water heater. Then you have fresh water for the birth.

It is big enough for 3 people to fit comfortably, or one mama in transition to really move her body weightlessly. The sides are padded and comfy to lean your head on.

I can't say enough good things. They cost about $1000, and you can usually rent them for $200. I would rather have this birth tub and a cheap, less experienced doula, than to worry about keeping water warm in a PVC inflatable tub. Especially knowing that PVC releases phtalates when heated. Hopefully you don't have to make a sacrifice like that to get this tub though!

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The spa-in-a-box sounds nice...and the phlanthates sound BAD! If I can't find the spa-in-a-box, could I use a liner in the La Bassine or fishy pool to keep the phlanthates out?

Any other thoughts? Did anyone use an Aqua doula?

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
I've used an AquaDoula and also the Spa-in-a-Box (I actually own 2 that I rent out although I'm looking to sell and I am in your area
). I didn't care for the AquaDoula at all. I used it for my 2nd birth when I couldn't find anyone w/the Spa-in-a-Box available. It does have the depth thing going for it and the ability to keep water warm so that's a plus. But the heating elements (mine had 2) are in the tub on opposite sides so I basically had these 2 areas that I had to be careful of leaning against (they were hot, obviously). I also didn't love that the sides weren't very firm - not compared to the spa-in-a-box (where you can sit or lean on the sides w/o worry). After that birth I said that if I couldn't get the spa-in-a-box the next time around I'd just buy a cheapie inflatable. I have scary fast labor though, so keeping the water hot hasn't been a real concern for me. Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I will probably be getting a La Bassine both for myself and clients( I am a midwifery apprentice).
Our expereince with Aqua Doulas has not been great. It seems for shorter mamas they have trouble geting their footing for pushing b/c they are so large.
Most of the time- we use a horse trough. Works great.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I couldn't find a rental of the spa-in-a-box for under $300 - shipping is expensive! I used a la bassine pool and it was great. I had a fast labor (5 hrs) so I didn't have to worry so much about water getting cold for me. My mw added boiling water just before I started pushing to warm it up a bit. I labored the entire time leaning on the side - they were strong enough no problem. I birthed my ds in a semi-squating position using the sides and the back to support me. We were lucky enough to be able to sell the tub to our mw so she could rent it out and so didn't feel the crunch of extra money spent on a tub.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I used an Aquadoula for my first and a fishy pool for my second. I much preferred the fishy pool. It was more comfortable and less of a production to fill up. I felt like I couldn't rest on anything in the Aquadoula because of the hard sides and I didn't like them being so high.

I've heard it depends on height. I'm average build and weight.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I got an Electra pool -$77 with shipping & an adaptor for the hose /faucet.

I inflated it & it seems great in size-width & height of pool (I am 5'8")
It is ready for me to use--I have the hose hooked up & the hot water heater turned up a bit-I put down an old shower curtain & 2 comforters underneath it for more cushioning -but it does have inflatable bottom also.
will see how it goes.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I also used Spa 'n a Box. One of the MW's assistant's rents them out. It had very firm sides and kept the water hot at the temperature we wanted for 3 weeks! (we obviously cleaned it while waiting for baby to be born). We used the 6' which was REALLY BIG. The 5' is probably a better size! I also liked (better) the rigid sided birth pools I used in England - rented locally in London and SE England.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by meggles View Post
The spa-in-a-box sounds nice...and the phlanthates sound BAD! If I can't find the spa-in-a-box, could I use a liner in the La Bassine or fishy pool to keep the phlanthates out?

Any other thoughts? Did anyone use an Aqua doula?
If you're still living in Berkeley you can PM me and I can refer you to quite a few people who rent out spa-in-a-box tubs.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mamma Mia View Post
If you're still living in Berkeley you can PM me and I can refer you to quite a few people who rent out spa-in-a-box tubs.
Thanks, mama. I pm'd you.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
I used an aquadoula and liked it OK. I didn't get to use it as much as I would have liked, but the time spent in it was great. I mostly labored on my knees, leaning on the side and always felt secure. The heater was great, especially since it was a long labor. I did have trouble finding a comfortable pushing position, which for me was the only drawback.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts