Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some of the best ways to develop a strong immune system? I try to eat healthy, organic when possible, take a multi-vitamin, get my rest...but what else? Is it healthy to take larger doses of vitamin C on a regular basis to prevent illness? or is it best to take when you get sick? Also, do probiotics actually help keep you from becoming ill (cold & flu, viral illness wise).
It seems everyone in our family gets sick alot starting in the fall, and I want to be prepared this year!

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Cod liver oil, vit c (yes, you can always take large amounts,) probiotics keep the gut flora healthy which is essential for proper immune function & regular chiropractic care is a big one the spine is our foundation of health. Lots of sunshine.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Thought of a couple more, lots of garlic! Coconut oil, right off the spoon if you can stomach it, I eat a TBSP each day - has antibacterial properties & lauric acid, really good for you.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought I'd read about cod-liver oil, but I wasn't sure. Glad you mentioned it! How much does one take, adn do you mix it into a drink or something? Have I also seen something about Flax oil too? Are there capsuls that contain both?
I's never heard of taking coconut oil; very interesting.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
There are studies showing that CLO is better used by the body (no converting needed) & it depends what brand you get as far as amount. We get Nordic Naturals Arctic-D CLO, I take 1 tsp & the kids (DD1-6.5, Dd2-3.5 & Ds-4.5 months) take 1/2 tsp - actually, Ds gets a bit less. I also take fish oil, NN Pro Omega.

I mix it with a small amount of OJ, like two TBSP. It's important to get a high quality CLO/FO, so they are free of mercury.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Astragalus is also a great immune booster, especially for the respiratory system. You can get it in capsule form or get the dried root and boil it and make a tea or add it to when you make chicken soup.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
in our house, we use cod liver oil, coconut oil, lots of garlic, ginger (esp when we're sick,) probiotics every day, vitamin c when sick (though we don't take it when we're not sick,) and zinc. and we avoid all OTC meds and antibiotics, use homeopathy and sometimes herbal remedies instead, to support the immune system rather than damage it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.