Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a little behind in that I am just now thinking of buying a wrap for DS. I had a Bjorn when he was little and loved it but he has now outgrown it. DS will be 1 YO next month and weighs about 25 pounds. I have looked at the Moby's and a friend referred me to the website www.metrominis.com but I have no clue what would be best for me. What do you recommend?

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
Definitely don't get a moby for a 1 yr old. You could get a nice woven wrap if you want, but nothing stretchy like a moby.

Personally, for older babies and toddlers I love SSC's and Mei Tai's. For my 32 lb 2 yo I am most comfortable wearing him in an Ergo, followed by a Beco Butterfly, and then a Toddlerhawk. It looks like the store you linked at least sells ergos and becos. Either one would last you a long time.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Hi Rachel

I'd suggest an Ergo. I walk everywhere with Leo - who's 11 months and 20+ pounds now - and it's so comfortable and easy. You'll be able to do a front or back carry and I find the hood really handy in the hot weather. Even DH, who only wears the babe occasionally, finds the Ergo a snap.
You can also buy an infant insert for your next baby - or get a sling or wrap, too, which I found useful for a newborn.

·
Registered
967 Posts
If you want something simple I'd go with the Ergo. Both of my kids liked it a lot and it was super simple and very comfy. My favorite was my Storch wrap but wraps are a little more complicated as far as the learning curve goes. They aren't hard to learn with a bit of practice and I ADORED mine but the Ergo is probably simpler and quicker... especially if you have a babe who wants to play the "up, down, up, down" game like my DS always did.

·
Registered
794 Posts
At that age, you have so many options. If you are looking for super simple and two shoulder support, go with a buckle carrier, like Ergo, Beco, Pikkolo, Angelpack. Another option is a mei tai, which is like a buckle carrier, but instead of buckles, you have straps that you tie on. Bonus is that you get more print options with a mei tai and can do higher back carries. Then if you want more versatility and are willing to take a few more minutes to learn, then go with a woven wrap, but a short one and you'll be able to do front, back and hip carries.

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
Personally I'd vote for a buckle carrier, for several reasons:
  • the structured hip belt is more supportive, and with your baby already at 25 pounds, you'll need good support
  • less of a learning curve than mei tais or wraps
  • no straps and ends to dangle on the ground when you're out and about and baby wants up/down

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.