Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have acid reflux really really bad during my pregnancies. And even though I take Zantac 2x a day there are still many days when I spend hours (8+) feeling a constant burning sensation in my chest and throat.

I am a very avid water drink and can go weeks with drinking anything but 100oz of water a day. Which is so important for pregnancy but unfortunately the biggest culprit in the acid reflux. I have found that drinking soda instead of water helps tremendously. But I don't want or need the extra calories and quite frankly I am not a big fan of soda in general.

What should I do - give in and have a few diet sodas a day, drink the straight sugared stuff for the next 2 months just to get liquids in me. I have tried teas, and juices and they are just as bad. I think the bubbles in the soda keep me burping so that there is no back up of acid.

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
I would do whatever works for you. If a soda or two a day really gives you some relief, I would go for it. I would just go for the normal soda over the diet stuff though.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Irishprincess -- I can COMPLETELY relate! I had bad acid reflux/heartburn w/my first, and have it all the time when i'm not pg too, but this pregnancy, it has been completely out of control! I was taking sooo many tums a day and nothing worked! I had to opt for the prescription Prevacid... It is a miracle drug! I don't know about what the potential side effects are, but my OB prescribed it when i described how bad it was.

As for soda, i'd drink that if it helps, but i wouldn't drink the diet.... that stuff is really bad for you even if you are not preg... but bad for children & pg women too...

I would recommend the Prevacid!

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
Have you tried carbonated water? That would help to keep you burping

Lex

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
yeah, i second lexbeach on the bubbly water. i like the gerolsteiner bubbly mineral water. it actually has some calcium in it so i think it might actually be good for you. you can add a splash of juice for some flavor. that said, i don't think a regular soda now and then is too bad. that's what coke and pepsi were originally marketed for anyway. the name pepsi actually comes from "dyspepsia", another word for indigestion. in my first trimester when the queasies were bothering me more i liked the bubbly water with a bit of cranberry juice. yum!

hope you feel better!

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
Sparkling mineral water and just plain old carbonated water are great in my book. There is something healing about a good burp! This is the way I like mine --

Refreshing:
Chilled with lime

Tart:
With lime and a spash of white cranberry juice

Sweet:
Splash of white grape

Colorful:
Splash of Tart Cherry

Alcoholic:
Non-Alcoholic white wine + lime

Tropical:
Non-Alcoholic white wine & mango juice

Also, I double, triple, quadruple the no no on diet pop. Not good for you or babe!

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I know how you feel. Early in pregnancy I lost the ability to burp and could only do it if I had some soda. Caronated water/club soda just didn't do it for me even if I try to sweeten it up, I like Hansen's Natural Sodas. They have sugar but none of the funky chemicals in coke, etc.

A couple of sodas won't make or break you, IMO.

Amy

·
Registered
345 Posts
I had acid reflux so bad in the first trimester I almost went to the emergency room for a heart attack one night. My chest pain came 3 times and lasted a couple of minutes each time. I could hardly breathe and it went away. I still find it almost impossible to believe it was acid. It woke me up at 5:30am and if my boss hadn't told me the story of when she went to emergency for a heart attack because of acid I never would have believed it. I found water to be bad and soda or carbonated water to be worse. I also had a terrible time with garlic and tomato products and a lot of other things too.

Anyhow I had a lot of acid and heartburn problems and finally found out about slippery elm bark which is dwindling in supply in the world as it's a valuable herb. I heat up less than a cup of water not boiling but so you can drink it fast. Then you put in a sm tsp of slippery elm bark powder and you have a wonderful soothing and coating substance that helps so much. The only thing that is disgusting is this will very quickly turn to a slimy substance if it sits for more than a few seconds so only make what you can drink fast within a minute. Good Luck!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you ladies for all your helpful tips and advice. I will head to the store tomorrow for the carbonated water (had not thought of that). Anything to keep the calorie count low. At 120 calories per 8 oz times 8. I can't even begin to think of the weight i would gain with that. It is so hot in CA right now that I am thirsty all the time. I will also see if I can find the slippery elm bark at one of the local health food stores.

P.S. thanks for the add-ins Sparklin. They sound really good. When I can drink water I like it with just a spash of lemon juice. I now have DS (14 mo) hooked on it too.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I can totally relate. My reflux, especially at the end of my pregnancy but also throughout most of it, was SO bad that I would actually gag and drool and have to spit. It was hellish.

Since you drink so much water, have you tried mixing in a little baking soda? It's the ONLY thing that cured my reflux. Well, it was temporary, of course, but it worked well. The box has directions, how much to mix in a glass of water. I used half of whatever they said on the box and it still worked as well.

·
Registered
386 Posts
pregnant women often end up with dental problems because of more sugar in the blood and other changes. soda might contribute.

also it has phosphorus, which inhibits your mineral intake. so, your body is using the mineral from your diet and blood and bones to make baby's body. should avoid compromising that.

of course, you must be taking calcium and magnesium. take some at bedtime to help you sleep. but you have to have enough water to avoid painful stones.

tricky.

rrr

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by irishprincess71
It is so hot in CA right now that I am thirsty all the time. I will also see if I can find the slippery elm bark at one of the local health food stores.

Henry's stores have a Lozenge with Slippery elm.
I've heard that Papaya can help as well.

For the record, I drink soda, about two cans a day. (regular not diet)

Chelly

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.