Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

· Registered
10,748 Posts
So I guess this is why I buy the good stuff at Costco. I hope they go to jail (not just a stinkin' fine).

· Registered
45,796 Posts
Yeah, I wish they'd given information about which brands were involved.

Fortunately, nobody in my family is allergic to tree nuts, peanuts, or soy, but I'd still like to know if my olive oil is what it says it is!

· Registered
4,589 Posts
Holy cow. Do you think there could have been corn oil in it? Dd reacted to olive oil and we thought it was so strange because we'd been using it for a long time without incident.

So how do you know you're getting pure stuff then? How scary.

· Registered
10,748 Posts
I also like the companies that say on their ingredients: soybean oil and/or sunflower oil and/or safflower oil. Do they not know what is going in their product?

· Registered
10,748 Posts
Well since Sclafani is the one that turned the other guys in because his stuff is pure and he didn't want to be undersold by the inpure guys, I'm willing to bet his stuff is safe!

Well, I'm in CT. Does that mean that the brands they sell here are safe? What about Bertolli? They're expensive so they're probably safe (that's who I use).

· Registered
10,748 Posts
Of course, now that I think about it, it's stupid. That's WHY we have the FDA, supposedly. To make sure that Food, Drugs, and Cosmetics are safe and LABELED properly. Because CT now made a distinction for olive oil, does that mean that they have to make a law that says butter has to be butter, and so on and so on. Every food has to have its ingredients listed, and those are the ingredients that have to be in it. OR they can be fined or put in jail because they are lying to the public. There shouldn't have to be an extra law. There should just be follow-through and consequences for those companies that are not complying with the laws that are already on the books.

Okay, I'm off my stump now.

· Registered
4,589 Posts
Filipo Berio is the brand that dd reacted to. The only reason I even know is that it's still in my pantry. It was a huge bottle and I didn't want to throw it away. We've been avoiding olive oil ever since though. Now I wonder if I should try another brand.

· Registered
12,043 Posts
There was a big thread on this a year or two ago. It did link to the safe brands and all kinds of anecdotal stories. We all put our EVOO in the fridge to check it. True EVOO should solidify in the fridge. If it's mixed with something it won't. The thread was in N&GE if you are interested in looking for it.

· Premium Member
8,786 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
True EVOO should solidify in the fridge. If it's mixed with something it won't.
Ooh- that's good to know, thanks. If I ever get around to trialing olive oil, I will definitely do the fridge test first.

· Registered
12,043 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
I also like the companies that say on their ingredients: soybean oil and/or sunflower oil and/or safflower oil. Do they not know what is going in their product?
They know. It's just that they use whatever is cheapest at the time and don't want to have to change labels and such.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.