Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mamas (and papas)-

My blood is boiling right now. Lest I be accused of inaccurate media sources, here's a link to GWB's own election site:

http://www.georgewbush.com/Default.aspx

Check out the streaming video ad that is showing. You'll recognive the german words before you see the face, amid, of course, Al Gore, Howard Dean, and lastly, John Kerry.

I am so positively disgusted and horrified right now. For those of you that are Bush supporters, how do you feel about this ad? I mean, this is just so unconscienable, I can't see how ANYONE could get behind it, let alone encourage the gestalt that created this.

I wish I could say Bush has reached rock bottom, but if he'll stoop this low, I'm very fearful of what's to come.....

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Is he SERIOUS?? I am positively apalled. There is NO WAY that man should be elected president. He is not even qualified to be the MAYOR for crying out loud.

As for the clips of Dean & Gore, etc., I think they are awesome. To me they are not out of control in the slightest, they are full of righteous anger & indignation. I hope this ad campaign totally backfires & blows up in George's smug little face.

Man, he is repulsive.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Uh, I think you are seeing what you want to see. The german quotes and hilter references come from Michael Moores movie - he is the repulsive one trying to compare Bush to Hilter. I think it is a great ad - points out how far the left has gone in demonizing Bush.

What is so awful about the ad? I mean he is only showing what the left has said. What is worse is Michael Moore taking clips, misquotes, and outright lies and putting them in his movie and hoping that people will believe them as fact!

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasSuz
What is worse is Michael Moore taking clips, misquotes, and outright lies and putting them in his movie and hoping that people will believe them as fact!

Newsflash, TexasSuz-- Michael Moore is not running for president.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I horrified you - oh goody! You still have not told me what is wrong with the ad? So it is okay for Moore to compare Bush to Hilter and use Bush's words and Hilter's image together but not ok when Bush takes those same images and puts them in his ad to show people what the other side is saying about him. I am confused..really I am.

Exactly what in the ad is offensive to you? I really want to know.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I deleted the horrified part, because I don't want this to get personal.

First and foremost, Gore, Dean, Gephardt, and Kerry have NEVER that I am aware of compared Bush to Hitler in an ad, or even in a speech. Michael Moore (why are you cons so fixated on him??) is an INDEPENDENT film maker, not a dem speech writer or copy artist. I am thoroughly confused as to why you're bringing Moore into this-- like I sadi, he's not running for office, he's not even running a campaign.

As the descendant of a holocaust survivor of Dachau, I find using Hitler for any political gain, by any politician, reprehensible. As far as I know, Neither Gore, Dean, Gephardt nor Kerry has comitted the genocide of MILLIONS. Come ON! How can you even BEGIN to make comparisons??????

Seriously, this ad, and the attitude of "what's the big deal" that I'm picking up in your post deeply, deeply disturb me. Hitler is living history for many people, a raw, painful history.

I'm not being very articulate here, and really, I can't be. I feel very emotional and absolutely dismayed that there are folks on this board and in this country that condone this. This isn't PC, it's basic human decency we're talking about.

This ad has convinced me Bush has none.

·
Registered
516 Posts
TS,
Have you seen Moore's new movie? I did, and there were no references to Bush and Hitler. Bush and cowboy movies, yes, but not Hitler. I hope that you go see the movie and then you can talk about this subject informatively.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I think you are confused islandmama - the Hilter footage is right from MM movie - that is why I am bringing him up. I don't think the ad is trying to compare the Dems to Hilter - it is just showing how the dems are demonizing Bush - even by comparing him to Hilter. Watch the ad again - the Hilter section has words underneath it bashing Bush.

I agree that Moore should have Never used Hilter and the holocaust for political purposes - but he did and Bush has a right to tell his people that the other side is comparing him to Hilter. This ad is for the internet, not for TV. It is meant for supporters of Bush to see how the other side is portraying him.

I am sorry that Hilter has even been brought into this campaign but I have not seen one democrat come out and condemn MM for using Hilter words and images in his movie!

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
NM, I deleted because I said I was horrified by Texas Suz, and that's not true. I am upset, for sure, but I don't know TS well enough to make this personal. She just happened to be the person replying. That's why I edited.

TS, I am on dial-up, so the words during the Hitler segmenbt are blurred beyond recognition. The audio is crystal clear, though.

FTR, I've never compared Bush to Hitler. I think it's dead wrong when people do.

And once again, TS, Moore is not a political party! He is an INDEPENDENT film maker. My gosh, if we're going to start making comparisons to how the politicos are represented on either side, then we'd have to start bringing Rush and Anne Coulter and the like into it..

I would be equally offended (more so, actually, becasue I expect more cultural sensitivity from the dem camp) if Kerry ran an ad likening Bush to Hitler.

Am I clear as mud yet?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I think the Hitler reference was taken from moveon.org's website (you can catch "sponsored by moveon.org" it if you watch the ad again). And as far as I know, moveon.org's website is supported by George Soros and Democrats and has been referenced by many on this site.

Al Gore just compared Bush and his staff to the Nazi "Brown Shirts" yesterday:

http://news.bostonherald.com/nationa...rticleid=33260

I believe Bush is just showing how low the other side has been by using their own ammunition--addressing the negativity directly to diffuse it.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
This is a stupid ad. What's the point? George W.'s grandfather had ties to the Nazis. The whole family is crooked and doesn't give a bleep about human life. Just ask any Iraqi citizen. Shame on them for being so evil.
:

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
hmmm. It doesn't really anger me, but who was the idiot who came up with this add? I mean, I was sooooo there with those "angry democrats" it's about time they showed some spunk. I mean is that the BEST he can come up with-It's time for optimism? What a freakin' joke!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Clara, thanks for clearing up my confusion. I knew I saw the Hilter footage on a radical website but I really thought it was from the MM movie. But you are right - it is the left that has brought Hilter into this campaign.

Going to bed now. The Nazi ties post really got my blood boiling...not even going to give it a response.

I agree with one thing Bill Clinton said recently...He said we need to stop talking about who is right and wrong personally and start talking about which policies are right and wrong. I am paraphasing. In other words demonizing people and comparing them to Hilter does not benefit anyone in the political process.

·
Premium Member
22,696 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nursing Mother
Well why can't I see the ad?

Is it the video one? Because my laptop won't play it.
I couldn't see it at first, but I changed my video preferences and then I could. It was defaulting to Windows Media player, and then it said I needed a plug-in. I chose QuickTime, and then I could see it.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
The Hitler ad(s) on moveon.org (I believe there were 2 of them) were submitted along with several hundred others in a contest for campaign ads that moveon ran a few months back. Moveon.org did not create or endorse the ads and as soon as they were discovered, the ads were pulled from the contest and information was sent to members and posted on their website explaining the origin of the ads.

The Bush campaign, however, jumped on the ads as soon as they appeared on the moveon site and proclaimed that the ads represented moveon's and the dems' philosophy and ideals. I really feel that nothing could be further from the truth, and I think that the Bush campaign's use of the Hitler analogy in a party-funded ad is just abhorrent to say the least.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts