Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone! I'm hoping to find some guidance/direction here with my 6mo EBF LO.
She has been gassy from early on.

At 8wks I removed dairy from my diet which cleared up these tiny bumps she had on her forehead and scalp, but did not eliminate the gas.

Around 12 weeks, I gave up eggs which seemed to help the gas a bit, but did not resolve it.

So, at 15 weeks, I decided to try the Elimination Diet Dr Sears recommends. I struggled getting that ironed out, was cheating and didn't know it. Finally after 2 weeks of following it to a T - with the exception of removing rice from the list as it seemed to disagree with her (subbed quinoa) and removing white potatoes, we were good! Her gas was only first thing in the morning, she was pooping 2-3 times a day (which made her very happy, pooping is a struggle for her b/c of gas usually), and I was elated to have my happy baby.

After about 4 days of this, I added avocados to my diet, things seemed to be ok so the next day (I know, I didn't wait long enough), I added cranberries. Still things were ok. Then, 3 days after that (1 week from day 1 of no symptoms) I tried brown rice again, since it's supposed to be such a low issue food item. Wrong. That night she had horrible gas pains. So, needless to say rice was added to my 'NO' list. Then, 4 days later I tried white potatoes, that was another disaster - red target around the anus and more gas issues. I decided to return to the basics of the elimination diet to try to find a baseline again, however I tried hemp milk, in place of rice milk, due to her reaction to brown rice. That did not go well, she had constipation and smelly gas (usually does not have a scent). Hemp milk added to the 'No' list, rice milk added back into my diet. Then, I tried avocados again and she became gassy - although now I'm driving myself nuts thinking is this a coincidence or really a reaction? Regardless, I've eliminated avocados again to see how she improves. Instead, I tried grapes which are also listed as likely safe on Dr. Sears website. Nope, big problem there too. Very gassy, difficulty pooping and a rash on her belly (tiny red bumps, not sure if related to grapes, but nothing else is new in her world, no new washes, detergents etc)

I'm beginning to be concerned if I'm doing all of this for nothing.. If she's reacting to the foods or just having a gassy day.. The only times it was obvious was rice & potatoes, and after that I really don't think I've gotten her back to a true baseline..

Right now, I'm only consuming turkey, sweet potatoes, quinoa, puffed millet with rice milk at breakfast (she seems to be ok on the rice milk, or at least she was for that one week...), pears occasionally and green zucchini squash. I've stopped my vitamins for fear they may be causing a reaction... Although, they are all allergen free... I'm not sure what I can try adding to my diet next, or what I need to change.. I just want her to be happy and not have these gas pains. That 1 week was like heaven for all of us..

I should also mention during that week I was eating all of the foods mentioned in the previous paragraph that I am eating now plus avocado for the last 3-4 days of that week and cranberries for the last 3.

I guess I'm just beat and hoping on this forum I can find some direction or some encouragement. Any ideas ladies?

Thanks in advance. I really appreciate any responses.

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
Ooooh, the only encouragement I can think of is-- seriously-- ditch the attachment to "baseline". I just don't know what to say, but I'll try.

It's nice to try elimination, but this idea that we can get them to this perfect place by eliminating so many things is one of those things-- like 8 hrs of sleep and a kid who is happy being set down and handed off to strangers-- that seem more mythical than anything.

You might get another sweet week, but you also might get more and more frustration in not finding it. Set aside any expectation that you have full control over your child's gastrointestinal happiness and find some help in accepting that you might not ever find a solution. By all means, be sensitive to how your eating affects your daughter. But let go of the myth that you "should" be able to find that idea of perfection.

Now here's hoping that someone else hops on here with some better help.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.