Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to be dairy free on a NT diet? My ds is very sensitive to dairy and citrus (store). I see alot of recipes use either whey or lemon juice.
Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks Wendy
HSing Mom to DS15, DS13, DS11&DS3mo

·
Registered
226 Posts
hi wendy!

yes, it's very possible! i am dairy-free because of my nursling dd's dairy-sensitivity as well. it's hard, but so worth it to bf!

i have been fine following nt. of course, i don't use raw milk, butter, etc., but i take clo, (nd even butter oil sometimes, but not very often), make beef and chicken broths all the time (my dd and i have them for lunch), and try to follow nt. fermenting veggies and soaking grains is something that can be done regardless of dairy intake. also, if you want to make kefir, there are some water-based and coconut-milk-based ones, so it doesn't have to be milk. as for soaking, hmmm. maybe someone else can suggest an alternative to lemon juice?

hth! i just want to encourage you that it's totally possible!

·
Banned
11,594 Posts
i wanted to also say that it is possible.

i mean, i'm a vegetarian and i basicly follow NT, just without meat.

when i begin to work toward conception (1 year before TTC), i plan to go for CLO, bone broths, etc, and i'm even considering meat during the pregnancy and lactating years. my vegetarian friends are confused. but that's because they also don't 'get' me or my reasons for being vegetarian and not being vegetarian during pregnancy.

anyway, i consider myself NT even though i don't eat meat. so i can't imagine why you wouldn't be NT if you didn't eat dairy.
there's a whole lot to NT, you know?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fourboys
Thanks for the encouragement - I guess I still have more research to do.
:
If you read Nutrition and Physical Degeneration, you will see that there is a wide variation among the diets of indigenous people Price visited around the world. From the Maasai and Inuit, who ate almost totally meat and animal products, to other tribes who were nearly vegetarian except for some insects and grubs. The Swiss, for example, were heavily dairy-based, and the Scots on a remote island had no dairy at all but lots of seafood. I personally love dairy, and have access to raw, organic, grassfed milk/butter/cream, so I go the Swiss route, although I eat more meat than they did. They relied heavily on their rye bread, and I avoid too much bread because I am diabetic. But there are many other dietary traditions to approximate that are just as healthy and nutrient dense.

On the WAP website, there is a section that talks about what the various populations ate which is very interesting, and can give you ideas on how to structure a diet that suits you, and still get the nutrients you need: http://www.westonaprice.org/traditio...ets/index.html

Ann

1 - 5 of 5 Posts