Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is X-posted in Breastfeeding.<br><br><br>
My friend has a 12 wk old dd who she is bfing since birth. Her dd is showing signs of reflux and/or possible lactose intolerance and I would like to be able to pass on some advice from other bfing moms. I have a ds who suffered with reflux but he was on ebm due to being preemie so haven't gone through the actual bfing. Here is what I told her so far:<br>
1. Stick to bfing. Her ped gave her lactose free formula, I suggested she focus on maintaining a good nursing relationship.<br>
2. Check her diet for irritants and cut out dairy if it is a factor.<br>
3. Let her dd demand feed even if it is little and often. Her ped said her dd should be feeding every 3-4 hours but she is more like 1.5 - 2. I expressed that this seems normal to me.<br><br>
Her dd's symptoms are:<br>
1. Crying<br>
2. Pulling off the breast<br>
3. Back arching<br>
4. Colic symptoms which are much worse when exposed to dairy<br><br>
Does anyone have any advice in addition to what I've told her or any corrections to what I said? I'm also setting up some LLL support to help her through this.<br><br>
I would really appreciate any advice or support so that I can pass on the comments to her. I think her ped might be a bit stoopid and doesn't really understand bfing, I had similar experiences with my ds being undiagnosed. I also suggested her dd might be getting a bit bored with life at home and it crying as she is ready for being out and about. I suggested a mei tai as a tool to help with this.<br><br>
Thanks mama's I really appreciate your expertise and I know my friend will really appreciate any positive comments or helpful advice.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Sounds like reflux and time for a new ped since s/he's not giving very good advice. GET A SECOND OPINION.<br><br>
A baby that young should definately be nursing 1.5-2 hours. <b>Pain should be medicated</b> and your friend should cut out dairy if he seems to be reacting.<br><br>
Reflux is a serious condition and may result from food allergies (meaning that breastfeeding and not formula is important because nearly all formulas contain major allergens) or immature physiology among other things. Diet can help but can't always do everything. <a href="http://www.marcikids.com" target="_blank">www.marcikids.com</a> has great info about different treatments available.<br><br>
If cutting out dairy works and she can control pain that way great! Otherwise, its important for the baby's long term health to get the acid and pain under control. Many Mamas on here, just like us, have dealt with long term ramifactions of un or undertreated GERD.<br><br>
Keep baby upright for at least 30 min after every feeding. This means not laying flat for diaper changes, clothing changes, to play, etc. We used books to prop up the changing pad and kept Ds in arms as much as possible.<br><br>
Be cautious with slings, car seats, and other things that position the baby in ways that might compress the esophagus and make things worse.<br><br>
There is a Moms of GERDlings tribe on this board and has the experiences of many women/families it should pop right up in a search.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts