Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had a wisdom tooth removed while BF? I have 2 that have partially came in and hurt soooo bad! I need them pulled, however ds will not take a bottle so I can't just pump. I was wondering if you can bf and still have dental work done?

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Check with your ped and/or local LLL leader. My LLL leader told me that it was okay to nurse after "going under" for a surgery. The old thought was that you would have to pump and dump but this isn't the case anymore. I was checking because I may have surgery for a hernia and I was worried since my DD doesn't take a bottle either. Best of luck.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Here are the links I read when I had oral surgery to extract two wisdom teeth.

http://www.kellymom.com/health/illness/dentalwork.html (there are lots of links on that page)

With concious sedation (IV kind is what I had), the effects only last as long as you are under. By the time you're home and they're worn off, you're okay. This is according to my dentist and that website.

What I was really concerned about was the pain medication afterwards, but my dentist/oral surgeon was told ahead of time about my BFing and prescribed accordingly.

Good luck and be sure to have someone around afterwards to bring your baby to you and help with aftercare!

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
I wasn't bfing, but I had IV sedation too and then percocet after which is what I had after both births so it's o.k. w/ bfing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im going to call around tommorow to see if I can get a dentist who can tell me something for sure. The last dentist I went to did'nt know anything about meds and bfing.....go figure...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts