Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I BF our first daughter till 15 months, it wasn't without a lot of ups and downs. Latching difficulties at first, mastitis multiple times, major stress due to a cross-country move. Supply was always a problem, and we had to supplement despite working with a lactation consultant, extra pumping, continual nursing, and herbs.

Baby #2 is due in 8 weeks, and I wondering if this time around can be different. Do supply issues the first time usually reoccur the second time? And is there anything that I can do to try to encourage a good supply this time?

Thanks in advance for any tips!

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
It will naturally be different. After all, the child is different.

As for supply issues, I have read that most women have more milk the second time around. Which isn't to say that you won't have issues (you might), but they may well be much less.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm due any time, and my thinking is that with my increased knowledge, things are bound to go much better with baby number two. Last time, I was really stretching out the time between feedings in the beginning. The baby wasn't waking and I was sore and tired, so I was definitely waiting 3 hours (or more) between feedings, which is much too long. His weight gain was terrible in the early weeks, my pain was excruciating, and it wasn't until week three that we got things working better. I don't think my supply was ever great, but he was exclusively breastfed until we started to introduce solids, and he continued to nurse until he was 2-1/2 and I was six months pregnant. This time, I know how to better manage feedings in the early weeks and I'm hoping that will bring in a better supply. If the baby comes soon and this thread is still active, I'll let you know if I'm right!

·
Registered
308 Posts
My personal experience has been that I have much more supply the second time around. I didn't have any supply problems the first time, although I did have some difficulty pumping enough (but that's normal since pumping is not as efficient). This time, I have abundant supply even at almost a year pp, and every time I pump, I get gallons! (slight exaggeration
: )

I definitely think that being more knowledgeable helps. But it's also true that all babies are different. My #1 was a preemie and had a huge amount of trouble learning to latch, and staying awake to nurse. #2 was full-term and latched on perfectly moments after birth, and hasn't had any problems since. It really is different every time. You have lots of great support so I hope you'll have a much easier time of it! Good luck.

-Joan

·
Registered
85 Posts
I hope & pray it's better for me with my next baby - I got only droplets after pumping, supplementing, oatmeal eating, dark beer drinking...all the old "tricks".

Maybe next time around will be better. Now I know more and hopefully my body will recognize what it should be doing too.

Best of luck to you!!!

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
With #2, I found pumping easier and we got through the supply ups/downs that went with my cycle resuming easier than with #1. I've also read that supply gets more with subsequent babies. A place like LLL or kellymom might have actual information, but I've read it enough places, sometimes just anecdotally, and it matches my experience, so it seems likely.

I just got mastitis a couple weeks ago for the first time (never with #1, and #2 is 10mos old now), and it was clearly stress-related for me. If you can foresee stressful stuff coming up (like a move), taking extra care of yourself and being prepared to deal with it promptly could get you past it faster. I know some women are more prone to it than others, and I'm just grateful that I don't seem to be one of them--wow, it's a drag! And mine was quite short since I found good advice here at MDC and treated it aggressively. But stress is just a huge drag on the body in so many ways. No other good advice--and I know, sometimes stress is unavoidable (been there, done that). You learned a lot last time and can put it to use earlier, if you even need it. I bet it goes a lot better than last time, though.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate the feedback! Hopefully things will be much easier this time around ~ no major stressors that I'm aware of, a little more knowledge about positioning, and just "mommying" in general.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.