Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone<br><br>
This morning I was at the NY US citizenship and immigration office with my 4 month old DS, and one of the women who worked there told me i wasn't allowed to bf in the waiting area but had to go sit in the bathroom to do it. Aaagghh, this has NEVER happened to me before in all my 3 years BF experience. I was so taken aback. DS was just fussing and not really feeding so I stopped trying to make him BF at all, whilst I thought about what I was going to do next (no way I was going to do it in a smelly old bathroom)<br><br>
So before I go complain to the support center, I just thought I would get some feedback from here, the laws aren't different in government offices are they? I'm going to hang someone out to dry for this if they're not. They picked the wrong person to have a go at this morning.<br><br>
Many thanks<br><br>
Nicola

·
Premium Member
6,219 Posts
That's a federal building, isn't it? If so, you are protected by federal law I believe.

·
Premium Member
6,219 Posts
even if its not, they are in the wrong. NY law:<br><br>
NY CLS Civ R § 79-e (Article 7 Miscellaneous Provisions).<br>
1994 N.Y. ALS 98; 1994 N.Y. LAWS 98; 1994 N.Y. S.N. 3999<br><br>
§ 79-E. Right To Breast Feed.<br>
Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a mother may breast feed her baby in any location, public or private, where the mother is otherwise authorized to be, irrespective of whether or not the nipple of the mother's breast is covered during or incidental to the breast feeding.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Nicola,<br><br>
PP is right that if its a federal building you are covered and NY state law covers you as well. Contact Liz Downs at Rep. Maloney's office in DC (Maloney is the sponsor of the federal law and a Rep from NY. They can help you with consituent services.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts