Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having such a hard time keeping Shaylee awake for a lot of her daytime feedings. She'll go for about 15 minutes on one side then i burp her and try to wake her up a little but she'll only go about 5, 10min tops after i switch her. I can't keep her away and she just pushes my nipple back out with her tongue. Is she just full or what? She seems content but i'm still afraid she's not getting enough. It's a different story during the night though. She wants to nurse for like 45 min on each boob and then again about 2hrs later. She'll also break her latch a few minutes after nursing and milk just pours outta her mouth and my boob. I'm not sure whats going on really. I didn't have to go through this with ds because i mostly pumped the whole time with him because of low muscle tone. Any ideas as to what's going on? Could she just have her days and nights mixed up?

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
if she is gaining weight, has 4-5 WET diapers a day and poops daily... you needn't worry. My ds1 was a one boob kinda guy. One boob usually filled him up. My ds2 is not so predictable, but he often only takes one side. 15 minutes on one side sounds about right to me... especially if you have an established supply (which I am sure you do if milk squirts out of your boob and drools out of her mouth!) one side could easily hold 3 or 4 or more ounces.... and at this age they cant hold much more than that at one time anyway.

·
Registered
122 Posts
shes fine. she will let you know if she needs more food just like shes already doing by feeding more at night than during the day. Pushing the nipple out is a sign they are done feeding. You are doing great momma!

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Different babies have different schedules. It sounds like she is getting enough, and getting "days and nights mixed up" is really common at this age. Monitor the number of wet diapers, like the pp said, and try to just find a way to give in to the new way. And don't worry, as soon as you get used to and in the groove with one schedule, she'll switch it up on you! At least, that was DD's way for the first year or so.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts