Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2.5 y/o (actually, going on 2years 8months) still nurses a lot and doesn't eat much in the way of solids. I'd even venture to say that he nurses more than his almost-5-month-old brother, both day and night. I know part of it is just for comfort, and I also believe there is some teething involved as I think the last two of his 2-year molars are coming in. But, my concern is that he eats very little in the way of solids. He's super picky anyway so I've had concerns about the quality of his diet, but I also have concerns about the quantity he's eating. I'm not in any rush for him to wean, but I feel like without establishing better eating habits he'll NEVER wean.<br><br>
On an average day, over the course of the day he'll eat a few bites (up to half) of an apple, maybe part of a piece of whole wheat bread, a few slices of cheese, some Annie's whole wheat bunnies, a few bites of hummus, <i>maybe</i> a few cashews or peanuts, and the cream from 1-2 Newman-O cookies (he doesn't eat the cookie part). I realize the variety/quality's not ideal and I'm working on that, but the quantity is what's worrying me now. He rarely sits down and eats a meal, he's usually just on the go and will run into the kitchen to ask for cheese or whatever. He also only drinks water in addition to nursing, which is fine with me. He's been nursing FREQUENTLY, and longer at each session than he ever did as a baby.<br><br>
Any tips on how to encourage him to eat more solids, without actively weaning? He's very strong-willed and I know the most painless way will be to let him wean himself when he's ready. We're not sit-at-the-table-for-three-meals-a-day types, we usually just sit down for dinner unless I give him something messy for lunch. Rather than specific breakfast and lunch I tend to just offer him food several times throughout the day, and he asks for it when he wants too. We're always in and out of the kitchen and he has a special little shelf for his food/snacks. Sometimes when he asks to nurse or is already nursing I offer him various foods, but he can't be deterred/distracted.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After posting this thread, I had a small epiphany this morning. He nursed when he first woke up and is never hungry for breakfast right away, but about an hour later I offered him some food before he asked to nurse again and he ate a decent amount - 2 slices of cheese, about half a slice of ww toast, and a few bites of apple (less than 1/4 of a small/medium apple, and I'll save the rest and keep offering it).

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I have a friend whose DD would barely eat, so she started making a snack tray each morning with different healthy foods in the cups of a muffin tin, and just leaving it out. Her DD would graze on it and ended up eating much more food that way. I wonder if that might work well for you ?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts