Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of you have seen these, but they are so beautiful and inspiring...

First, there is a BEAUTIFUL Picasso painting called "Maternity" that despicts a mother bf'ing her babe. My uncle is an artist and when my oldest brother was born he made a replica of this painting for my mother. It always hung in our house over the piano (and the mama in the painting happen to look alot like my mother looked). I recently thought about this painting and asked my step-dad if I could have it (my mom died several years ago) but he claims he doesn't even remember it! Ugh!

Picasso's Maternity

There is also a Gauguin painting by the same title, "Maternity" that is quite beautiful, from his Tahiti days.
Gauguin's Maternity

This one is a Rembrandt called "The Holy Family"

Mary Cassatt did one called "Mother Rose Nursing Her Baby"

I love this one, it's called "The Milky Way" , double meaning! By Peter Paul Rubens.

Japanese artist Utamaro did one called "Yama Uba Nursing Kintoki"

And these are just better known artists. There are tons more beautiful images of mothers nurturing their children in art throughout history. It's fun to find them and pick and choose favorites. Prints of these would make a lovely gift for an expecting mum.

Some things to note in these paintings:
* None of the women are covered up. No "discreet nursing".

* The baby in the Japanese painting is no baby at all. He looks like a happy 2 or 3 year old to me.

* The mother and child in "The Milky Way" are very normal and healthy looking, wide hips ample tummy and all! Also older looking child.

Enjoy! And a happy and healthy and milky New Year to all!

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
boatbaby - do you mind if I share these with women on another bf board that I belong to?

They are Beautiful!!!!

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I can think of two more, but I don't have links for them. I saw them both by chance at the book store tonight. One is also by Picasso called "Mother and Child". I saw it on a calendar for 2005. It's a simple sketch. Beautiful. The other is by Frieda Khalo. I can't remember the name. She seems to have several pictures that involve nursing or at least depict lactation. They were in a book of her works. It was on clearance at Barnes and Noble.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dmitrizmom -- share, please share. They are just links I found, anyone can use them.
Thanks for the other beautiful images! Keep them coming!

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mooliette - That is such a COOL painting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for sharing!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.