Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DH, DS and I will be visiting my parents in Portland and Eugene in a few weeks. We live in Europe in an area where BFing is heavily expected and supported. I usually just whip my boob out everywhere and anywhere without problem.

However I am totally unfamiliar with the BFing etiquette of Eugene/PDX and I am wondering if any BFing moms in the area can shed some light on 'the rules' of the region for me

e.g Do I need to 'cover' myself during BFing? Whats the general attitude about BFing in public? Boob visibility.. etc..

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I've never had an issue in Portland. I've nursed in restaurats, coffee shops, parks, etc. Even walking around the city's largest bookstore! Never even so much as a look. Only nursed once in Eugene, but it's a very liberal place. I was joined by another mama there too, it was very sweet.

FWIW, Oregon has one of the highest breastfeeding rates in the nation. I only know one woman who didn't breastfeed her kids. My policy is whip 'em out, anytime, anywhere. I used to use a cover, but I found myself feeling a little silly using one. The vast majority of women I see nursing just don't bother. Keep in mind that Oregon law protects your right to breastfeed in any public location.

Sentiment might be different in smaller cities, but Portland and Eugene are probably Oregon's two most "natural" friendly places. I've never had a problem with it in OR. Feed away!

·
Registered
855 Posts
For Eugene (in the city limits specifically) women can be topless in public as long it's not in a sexual way. I've seen women topless outside healthfood stores, riding bikes and at protests. I mean this is not common LOL but it is legal :)

Rhianna

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great! I live in Eugene until I was a teen and a little in my 20s but was totally out of there by the time I had kids so its helpful to hear not much has changed

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Last summer when it was really hot I nursed my youngest dd in the middle of the crowded Saturday market wearing a tank top. I was NOT "discreet". Nobody batted an eye. I got a few smiles and thumbs up, but that's it.

·
Registered
817 Posts
The only place I have ever had an issue was at my kids' dentist's office in Beaverton. The dental assistant asked me to nurse my 3 year old in their private BF room, and the office manager confirmed that is their policy when I inquired about it later. If the dentist wasn't so wonderful I'd change dentists over it, but in this one instance I'm willing to put my kids' comfort before mine.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Never had any issues here, either. I live in Corvallis, which is about 45 min. north of Eugene. I've BF'ed in both towns and no one has ever said anything. In fact, I've had people offer me a chair to sit in whist nursing in their place of business!

I've also had other Moms BF alongside me. It's common to see 2-3year olds BF in public, too. I'd be really suprised if you have any issues!

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
I live in Peru and visit my mom in the Corvallis area all the time (and a friend just north of Seaside, on the coast) - I have found the PDX/EUG area to be one of the most family/kid/BFing friendly places I´ve ever been and it is always such a pleasure to go with my son (in fact, I would LOVE to move there somehow) I have nursed him there from the age of 5 months - to 25 months and never had a problem anywhere

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.