Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...I really don't care where and when I have to feed my dd BUT I have been getting the MOST AWFUL looks from people lately! I know they just passed the BFIP law this year in IL but geez!!! I am now in an "F" cup due to nursing (was a "C" before baby...) and I can't help but show a little skin when I nurse!
I have even had people come up to me and tell me to go into the restroom becasue it is not something "done in public"!. I don't want to be rude or start a scene so I just smile and nod at them politely but I am losing patience. I even had one lady yell at me and tell me to use a blanket! Why is it such a big deal to feed a child??? And I don't think there is a blanket out there that can cover up all of these new post-baby curves!!! (Ha ha...) Any thoughts???

· Registered
5,189 Posts
Have you tried "giving the finger?"

I dunno. Worry not, O indiscreet one! You're not alone in your chronic indiscretion.

In fact, I don't understand why the word "discreet" even enters into breastfeeding discussions with the regularity that it does.

Don't worry about being rude. The other folks are the ones being rude, without question!

· Registered
1,727 Posts
i'm an E or DDD and i'm modest in general. with dd1 i'd go to the car or bathroom to nurse. this time i'm much less "discreet" but i do cover up with a light blanket. or i pull my shirt down to cover my breast back up.

· Registered
1,723 Posts
I have found pulling the shirt up rather than down gives better boob coverage.. plus with bigger breasts, it means they can come about down to your lap anyways... (at least mine do lol)

I'm not so good at the descreet thing.. if I try to cover anything its my damn belly.. I am actually a bit of a boob show off when I am nursing.. lol

anyways don't let the comments get to you!

· Registered
981 Posts
I have found that pulling up my shirt generally is enough to be sort of modest as the previous poster said. Oh how I would love someone to make some comment to me - I've been feeling fiesty lately and would give them an earful. Sadly, I am forntunate enough to live in an area where NIP is rather common despite Starbucks.

· Registered
1,021 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by eightyferrettoes
Have you tried "giving the finger?"
:LOL :LOL :LOL

I dunno. Worry not, O indiscreet one! You're not alone in your chronic indiscretion.

In fact, I don't understand why the word "discreet" even enters into breastfeeding discussions with the regularity that it does.

Don't worry about being rude. The other folks are the ones being rude, without question!
ITA with the PP but when I am going out and know my toddler is going to want to nurse as well I wear a nursing shirt that has a full hiddn panel with two nursing slits and a top panel that is made from a streachy soft material for good coverage. BTW I am right there with ya in th F department

· Registered
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks so much for the responses...
I guess I just needed to vent or something...I have tried nursing shirts but it is sooo humid in IL this time of year that the double shirt is too hot most of the time. I also pull my shirts up and not down but I guess I still show too much for some people despite my nursing bras...I have tried a blanket as well but my daughter hates it and arches her back to get out from under it (and takes my nipple with her...Ouch!) I understand that some people may prefer I not do it in public (my family is absolutely mortified at that...I am seeing them in August and hope to have breastfeeding down in the sling but it is difficult...) but I am not sure what else to do. I have hidden in bathroom too and that doesn't work...I know there ARE times when it is not appropriate...for example...my awards ceremony at school where I holed up in a comfy chair in a bathroom and didn't end up accepting my award.
: I was just wondering what other avenues I could take...I have nursing shirts from Motherhood but they are sooo hot (as I said before) any suggestions for good nursing shirts???
:

· Registered
1,727 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ladybugchild77
any suggestions for good nursing shirts???
i don't wear nursing shirts either. they look funky after they're worn and washed a few times, i think. plus, they are hot.

i tend to wear mostly knit tops while i'm nursing. so i went out and got some cute t-shirts (different colors and necklines for variety). i hold the baby in front of the side i'm going to nurse on, reach in to the shirt from the neckline, undo the bra, lift my shirt up just to where my boob is exposed (baby still covering the boob up at least somewhat), lower the baby to nurse, and pull my shirt back down to cover any exposed breast. so the shirt is resting just above the baby's face. she doesn't seem to mind that. if i do cover her with a blanket i use a really lightweight one (esp for summer). i do that for me more than for anyone else. i don't think most folks can tell i'm nursing anyway. it just looks like she's sleeping. but i feel better being covered up because i'm pretty modest.

· Registered
362 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bikruca
I have found pulling the shirt up rather than down gives better boob coverage.. plus with bigger breasts, it means they can come about down to your lap anyways... (at least mine do lol)

I'm not so good at the descreet thing.. if I try to cover anything its my damn belly.. I am actually a bit of a boob show off when I am nursing.. lol

anyways don't let the comments get to you!
:
I went from a 34DD to what, a 40G? I don't remember, but it's waaay easier to lift the shirt up, esp. since yes, my boobs are already in my lap if I slouch over.

I, too, try to cover my belly more than my breasts! I'm back down to a 34DD, still nursing my 32month old, and I'm wearing lower-cut tops again (summertime, ya know). Of course, my son's hand always finds its way down the middle of my cleavage...
:LOL

· Registered
8,846 Posts
I don't wear nursing shirts. Even when I was a J cup, I could nurse without *any* skin showing. It just takes practice. I couldn't do it when my first was tiny, I had to see what I was doing, but once I got comfortable with nursing, it was no big deal to just pull my shirt up far enough that my nipple peeks out under the hem, latch baby on, and go about my business (usually with baby in the sling). I like spandex t-shirts best for nursing in, just pull them up, and latch baby on. Baby covers any skin that might otherwise be exposed. Try it in front of a mirror at home. It's your confidence more than anything else that will put a stop to the looks and comments. If you show any sign of being uncomfortable NIP, people pick up on it and act accordingly. If you walk around confidently without any worries about what other people think about it, act like it's no big deal, nobody really even notices what you are doing.

· Registered
11,727 Posts
I love the finger idea the best!!

I'm an E cup, I never wear nursing shirts - I usually just wear regular t-shirts or similar and pull up, latch then pull the shirt down around DS. I don't cover him because he doesn't like it but we are very discreet this way.

· Registered
469 Posts
I am an H cup and while it is a bit difficult to be discreet as I try to lower my bra flap and get him latched on,I do manage to stay covered the whole time. I don't want to be showing my body to the whole world as I feed my baby so I am always careful when I nurse him out in public not to be exposed.

· Registered
273 Posts
I'm a 36 J now (yeah a J- was an F before DS). I love wearing light button down tops- I unbutton from the bottom and the fabric falls on either side of DS's head but leaves everything covered, including me. I'm practicing using my sling for nursing too.

Good Luck!

Beth

· Registered
881 Posts
I got a great suggestion about covering up from a friend!

She wears a very low cut tank top under a regular shirt. Then lifts the shirt UP and the tank top DOWN. That way the top of the breast as well as your belly are covered.

· Premium Member
20,157 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmm0708
I got a great suggestion about covering up from a friend!

She wears a very low cut tank top under a regular shirt. Then lifts the shirt UP and the tank top DOWN. That way the top of the breast as well as your belly are covered.
That was what I was going to sugggest.

Another way is to simply buy men's undershirts (buy them snug) and cut slits in them. Then, tuck them into your pants and wear a shirt over them. When you nurse the only thing that will come out of the slits are your breasts--- the top of which will be covered by your shirt, the bottom of which will be covered by the baby. Your stomach will stay covered by the undershirt. You can get men's undershirts in pretty lightweight material, so if you just wear a breezy top with it, it shouldn't be *too* much warmer.

· Registered
819 Posts
oh my lord..you know,i was sitting here thinking..easier to pull the shirt up..doesnt everyone pull their shir..oh,wait-some women can use tops/nursing tops that pull down..i feel so stupid forgetting,i guess i am just used to it. anyway,i understand getting comfie in public,heck,in general with larger breasts and bfing (not comfie as in thought-wise,i mean truly comfortable for you+baby!!). but for all i know,it might be more awkward w/smaller breasts. i wouldnt know so..*shrugging* at any rate i like the undershirt idea..hmmmm..i think i will try that myself. i dont have many suggestions of my own,i just usually use a blanket after finding somewhere to sit..display couches are great for that actually..oh well.

· Registered
5,189 Posts
:LOL Yeah, I'm the only "puller-down" I know IRL. I wear tank tops endlessly, and just pull the top down under the boob. Let the stretchmarks fly! Makes it easier to see what the baby is doing.

The consequence of this is that all my tank tops are kind of stretched out at the neck now. Ah well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.