Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is my first and I am clueless as to what I keep feeling.
When I'm sitting my stomach keeps getting hard and bulgie kind of.
I'm not sure if I'm having BH or if its the baby just moving around. I feel kinda dumb for asking but its driving my nuts!
It keeps doing it while I was playing WoW, but I don't really think I can time them because its hard for me to tell when they start or stop.
And I also keep getting this kinda almost pain really low in my abdomen. I think its him pushing or something but it'll be pretty sharp for a second or so.
Any BTDT moms who know what I'm feeling?
I dont want to call my MW over this because I don't think I'm in labor or anything I'm only 35w3 days. I'm just uncertain as to what the heck is going on in my belly! hehehe

Update:
See post 15

Updated again:
Post 20

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Lol mine used to move a ton while I played WoW too. I think it's how I sit in my computer chair.

I do find that my BH and the baby stretching feels similar but I can't think of a good way to describe it. Usually if it's just the baby stretching I can look down and my belly is massively uneven and I only feel pressure in one area. Where as when I have BH it's an all over tight and hard feeling. I can pretty distinctly feel the BH's when they fade in and fade back out but I don't really get that when it's just him moving around.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See ive never been able to feel them fade in or out.
I'll just happen to notice "Oh hey, my stomach is kinda hurting right now because its super tight" and it'll stay for a while and then later I'll be like "Oh look its not like it was... When did that happen?"

Lol I'm going to be the worse laboring woman ever I'm going to be so clueless even though Ive read so much about it, I havent been able to feel it or relate first hand.
It doesn't help that my mom cant give me advice on it because she said she doesn't remember ever having BH and that contractions never hurt they just felt like flutters and stuff.
That was until she got to the hospital and they told her I was sunny side up and she was 8cm already. So they made her lay on her stomach trying to get me to turn. Which ended up stalling her labor for like 12 hrs to the point I went into distress and they made her have a C sec. Oh and for the whole 12 hrs she begged for an epidural because laying on her stomach was so painful. But they wouldn't let her have one she was "too far along".
I'm so glad that because of her experience shes fully supportive of my having a natural birth at home.
She thinks had she not been uncomfortable from being on her stomach she would have popped me out no problems.
And No have no idea where this came from but I'm going to stop rambling now I think LOL sorry.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I get a lot of movement when I sit in my computer chair at work! It's funny, like that position is uncomfortable for her or something. But those are are distinct movements, like Madalyn said, my belly wiggles and moves unevenly. BH feel like what you described, sort of like my whole belly gets hard and it does sort of bulge out.

I've also been feeling the sort of sharpish pain in my lower abdomen, and I don't really know exactly what that's from. This is my first too, so I'm certainly no expert!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah its weird getting these sensations and pains and not knowing what the heck is going on.

*sighs* 4 weeks 4 days... I hope he comes out on time...
I'm ready for these uncomfortable sensations to end.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hello Error Kitten. It's my first too and I asked my MW about the sharp pains in my lower abdomen. She said it's either the baby kicking a nerve or my cervix thinning (
So we'll see!

Same problem here though...Can't tell if what I'm feeling is BH or my ds stretching on both sides of my belly...

·
Registered
581 Posts
I'm pretty sure its BH... I get this exact thing all day long, especially whenever I move after being still for a while (like getting up from sitting).

It sometimes freaks me out too because I'll get 2 hard lumps and I'll totally think the baby is transverse! I have to wait for the contraction to go away, and then I can usually tell she's still in a good position. Nonetheless, I worry every time!

Sadie

·
Registered
781 Posts
I asked my mw, and she said that if you poke around you can usually tell--if it's BH, your entire uterus gets firm, whereas if it's baby stretching, there are usually still some softer spots around the edges.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Yeah, def. no need to call. I get bulging and stretching, and if I feel all over my uterus and the whole thing is tight, then I deem it a BH. If it's just the top, then his/her butt is just making its presence known

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UGH! To add to my uncomfortablness today I started getting what feels like a stitch in my side.
Wow this sucks... I feel like I just ran and got a cramp in my side...
*wimper* I am so miserable today...
And there is absolutely no one around at all...
And now I keep crying cause I'm lonely on top of it. BLAH! Im so sick of being pregnant!

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Error_kitten View Post
UGH! To add to my uncomfortablness today I started getting what feels like a stitch in my side.
Wow this sucks... I feel like I just ran and got a cramp in my side...
*wimper* I am so miserable today...
And there is absolutely no one around at all...
And now I keep crying cause I'm lonely on top of it. BLAH! Im so sick of being pregnant!
Maybe try some pelvic rocks. The baby might shift a little and be more comfortable?

·
Registered
932 Posts
You're not the only one who feels clueless. I dont even know if I ever had BH and when I was in L&D and they told me I was having contractions and the nurse was all, ohh, here comes another one. I was "what? What do they feel like?". I felt so dumb, but I guess I'd rather not feel them, than feel them, right?

I just hope Im able to time them and all that. I dont like it when I dont know what's going on, which happens quite a lot

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
So often they feel the same, when they're big ones. It's that WHOA "SOMETHING" is happening. I only can tell after a bit if it's her moving or if it's BH. Sometimes I can't tell. With her head up here some of her moves just force everything to get really tight, BH style.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After getting a stitch in my side I decided to call my MW she asked if I was having 4 per hour and I told her I wasnt sure because I can't feel them start or stop.
She said for me to take a warm bath, so I jumped into the jacuzzi and when I got back out my stomach felt really hard again.
So I called her again to update her and shes like "well do you feel like your in preterm labor?'
I DONT KNOW!!! I dont know what thats supposed to feel like.
DH is at work for the next 48 hrs, and my parents are 2 hrs away on business. My mom was supposed to drive home today but she only got 2 hrs sleep last night and decided to stay the night there tonight.
So I'm all alone and I think the hormones are making me panicy.
DH was a premi and a very sickly one at that, so this is like my biggest fear and now I'm stuck doing it alone.
My midwife asked that I come in at 4:30 (shes a 30-45 min drive from me) so she said she would check me and make sure everything is ok.
*sighs*
I hate being so emotional....

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
mama! Let us know how it goes with your mw. It's certainly scary when you're alone and not sure what you're feeling! Take care of yourself, and good luck at your appointment.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
You're probably headed to your appt...... but just wanted to give you a
! Sorry you are feeling so alone. Are you having any cramping or, intensity? Generally Braxton's are painless just hard and uncomfortable. Early labor can feel like menstrual cramps or diarrhea cramps.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I just wanted to add that if someone's at a stage where preterm labor wouldn't be good, then you should call if you're having a bunch of these in an hour, even if you can't tell for sure if they're baby movement vs. BH, and even if they're totally painless and don't resemble labor contractions. I had an upsweep in BH contractions at 29 weeks and went into preterm labor (as indicated by a very rapid thinning of my cervix) without a single true labor contraction. Luckily I went in to be checked and they gave me some meds to stop the contractions and put me on bedrest for the remainder. Otherwise there was a good chance that the babies could have been born 11 weeks early. (Granted, I'm pregnant with twins which does put me at increased risk of PTL to a great degree). This is less of a concern for the original poster, of course, since she's about 36 weeks now-- and if you go into labor at 35 plus weeks they often won't want to do anything to stop it anyway. (Indeed, my pie in the sky goal is to make it TO 36 weeks-- I'll be 34 weeks tomorrow) Anyway, not to be a scare mongerer-- and I agree with the previous posters that this is in most cases not a problem or an indication of preterm labor. But I just have to pipe up about the cases where it is!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok so I went to see my MW, she checked my urine, BP, baby's heart rate and everything just to make sure it was all alright. Everything came out fine. She checked my dilation my cervix is anterior, 50% effaced and still only a finger tip dilated. No more than I was last week when I went in.
She's pretty sure what I was feeling was BH though she had no idea why I was having the stitch in my side.
I told her that the most that I felt the contractions is when I'm sitting at the computer either at work or at home.
She brought up again that women usually stop working at about 36 weeks. I told her I dont think I can but I'll talk to my parents about it and see what we can agree on.
She still had a hard time determining his position though he is head down. I think he was posterior at the time she checked me, earlier today I know for sure he had been anterior.
I'm glad I went I feel better about it. I feel stupid though that I got worried for nothing but I would much rather it not be true than not go and have something be wrong.
I still don't feel "great" I feel pretty crummy. I don't know what's going on with me I really think I just need to sleep and let myself calm down.
She said that I will only be considered "preterm" until Thursday. I'll be 36 weeks then and after that they won't stop me if I do go into labor. Once I hit 37 weeks I am allowed to have my home birth and anything after 38 weeks would be preferred.
So yeah I'm ok.
I'm just really really emotional still, my eyes burn from crying all day...
New rule my entire family is NOT allowed to leave me all at the same time!!!
I do not like the idea of having to deal with this all on my own... No Nathan, no Mom, no dad...
Its just not cool... I hate to say that I need someone to baby sit me but I do. At this point in the game I need the emotional support to help keep me stable.
*sighs* But everything is ok... Thats all that matters, I just need to keep him in 2 more weeks and then my mind will be at ease... 2 more weeks. I can do this... I can do this...

x-posted to my Livejournal.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.