Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my "mandatory" OB appointment yesterday...I have a great midwife who is backed up by 3 obs and VBAC patients have to meet with one of them to discuss risks and sign the waiver. No big deal and the OB was pretty great and very calm about it, telling us we could refuse any procedure and would be in control, and that our chances were good.

So...I asked him about positioning and my op report, and he said that in his opinion the main reason I wasn't progressing is because dd was 10 lbs 9 oz at birth. What do y'all think? I am watching my sugars and weight this time although my GD test was negative, but what else could I do if I just make big babies?

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
What position was your baby delivered from? Is that in the report?

I generally think positioning is more important that size. I have only once had in my practice what I think was a true CPD (a well positioned baby that just wouldn't come out - the mom was very small herself and the baby 9 lbs, with a very round head.) Other than that, OP positioning has accounted for the majority of babies in my practice who appear not to fit.

If you do just make big babies, you'll want to be even more conscious of fetal positioning during pregnancy and in labor. But you may not have as big a baby - I have several moms in my practice who grew whoppers on their first try, and had smaller babies after.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She was OP for sure. DH had said that's how he saw her delivered and I asked to see the report this week at the doc appointment.

It's my instinct that it was probably positioning too as I'm not a teeny person, and also if it was due to a big baby I would have at least dilated past 3. I'm hoping this baby is a bit smaller though due to the running and watching my white bread/sugar during this pg.

BTW, both midwives said that there's no reason I can't deliver a big baby like that. Their only concern was GD which I tested neg for at 16 weeks and should hear today about the 2nd test. But as I said I'm watching it anyway.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
913 Posts
I just gave birth to my 2nd vbac baby which was BIGGER than my 2nd born who was delivered via c/sect because of "FTP" and later ammended to "CPD" because my son was "way too big for me to ever deliver vaginally" weighing in at 9lb 11oz, according to my former OB.

My 3rd borne was 10lb+ with a nuchal arm, delivered at home. And my 4th, born just 2 wks ago, was "only" 9lb 12oz birthed after only 3 hours of active labor, again at home... This time with only 1 full ctx of pushing in the infamous fishy pool all the hb-er's use.

Just a little anecdotal info but big babies do get birthed... VAGINALLY! Best wishes for you and your birth time!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
My first baby--- and c/s--- was 9.10oz. She was also malpositioned. The labor was horribly painful bc my water broke early on. Second baby was smaller 8.4oz, also posterior (after much ofp and chiro work), but I pushed her out. I love the pics of her face coming sunny side up.
So be encouraged, it can happen! I didn't have gd-- and I ate very healthy both pregnancies-- lots of protein and a huge variety of healthy foods. A mw suggested I eat hormone free meat and milk--- so I did that, but that's the only difference.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, these stories are so empowering! As I said above, my mw's have been nothing but encouraging and it was just the new doc's comments that threw me off.

mommydok--That's awesome that you pushed out a posterior baby! There is also a pic in the Bradley book of a mama delivering the baby and you can see the pictures of the head delivered with the face up.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I sent a picture of her coming out to the two(female) doctors that told me "I had already proven I can't get a baby out of my pelvis".
I knew she was posterior from about 6 cm on, but then I thought she had turned to LOA. If I had known she was posterior when I started pushing, I probably would have given up--- as it was, I pushed for 2 1/2 hours. So don't give up!

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MommyDOK
So don't give up!
I won't! I will repeat THAT to myself, instead of my last doc's words: "your chances of a vaginal birth aren't good." Nope, instead, "Don't give up!"

·
Registered
16 Posts
sounds more like doc has a huge case of tiny vaginy syndrome rather then big baby syndrome. How's about you ask if he doesn't pee quick enough if you can cut him? Geez
fwiw, my 2 vbacs were also larger then my csec
Csec baby was 8.7
hbac baby 1 was 9.8
hbac baby 2 was 9.15

Big babies get born just easily as little ones. It's all about positioning and less about size

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Just wanted to say that I had a VBAC and pushed out a 10 pound 2 oz baby after 40 hours of labor and 2 1/2 hours of pushing. He had a cone head for the first few hours but aside from that he was perfect.
We also drove an hour away to have him in a hospital that allowed VBACs. My husband yelled at one nurse for being pushy and not reading our birth plan before handing out advice but the next nurse was wonderful.
My first son was 7 lbs 10 oz and a c-sec after we discovered he was breech when I was 6 cm dialated.
Anyways it is entirly possible to have big babies with no complications. You can do it mamma!

·
Premium Member
4,690 Posts
if ya just make big babies, then you don't do anything differently! my first birth was a c-sec baby who was 6lbs 15 oz (OP baby and FTP even after two hours of pushing was their story, mine is alot different). next 3 were all homebirths, 8lbs 9oz, 9lbs 5oz, and 9lbs 4oz. last two i didn't tear or have any skidmarks or swelling.

you can do it!

mandi

1 - 13 of 13 Posts