Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My kids are currently finishing grade 2 and kindergarten at a francophone school. We have been struggling wether homeschooling is a good idea for us or not. I am fighting for Hs my husband sits on the fence.Share your insight please !

1.We are Christians so our faith plays a part in deciding to homeschool, but it also is a motivator to keep them in school too. My husband believes that they are a light to others in their class.

2.The french language is a big part of my husbands heritage and is important that our kids carry on this tradition. He is fluent and I am not. I will be the main teacher at home as he works. The school provides french language and culture for my kids. Imerrsion all day long.

3.My husband works in the restaurant industry and works 5 nights a week seeing his kids 1 1/2 days per week. We believe HS will help with this as He can be with them at least a few hours per day.

Anyway...I am hoping to hear some ideas to overcome the language issue and any other ideas to help us make this decision.

Thanks you so much.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Hi BlessedBee, welcome to MDC

I'm a francophone, and it was a big deal for me to pull ds from his immersion program, but his school situation was so bad, I ultimately felt like I needed to sacrifice the language to keep him sane and our family healthy. The treatment he got from his french teachers was so bad that he resisted me teaching him any french at all at home. But, if he had been open to it, there are lots of French hs resources where we live, since there is such a large and historically important French community.

Depending on where you are, there might be some French language hs groups, or co-ops nearby. If you're in Canada, a very good chance of that. Here in Winnipeg, about 1/3 of the homeschool field trips and programs put on by the association I belong to are in French, the provincial education system will provide loads of textbooks, games, etc, and there are several French libraries. If you're living somewhere with a sizable French community, there should be just as many resources, you just have to look a bit for them.

I work in the restaurant industry too. If ds were in public school I would have to quit my job, we'd never see each other. I love the way our lives are set up now, I usually don't go in to work until 1 or 2 pm, giving us nice long lazy mornings. If you did hs your kids, wouldn't your dh get to spend his mornings with them and then he could spend that time speaking in French with them? I know with two language homes, it's usually much easier for parents to seperate the languages, one speaking one language most of the time to the kids, and the vice versa. Would this kind of situation work out for you?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Alima,

I really needed to hear from another Mom who has faced this situation. I honestly believe that we could hang on to the French via my husband and other resources. he has just not been convinced yet. I think he is selling himself short and not confident in his teaching abilities. I am praying for him on this and giving him the space to process all of this too.

Thanks for the encouragement in finding francophone groups locally...we are close to Vancouver and can draw on the Francophone community there. Plus our Francophone school has offered to work with us and let our kids join field trips, etc.

I am really hoping that we home school and yes my husband could spend some excellent time with his kids in the mornings before work.

We are slowly working through this and growing too which is great.

Thanks again mama.

Peace,
Steph

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessedbee View Post
I think he is selling himself short and not confident in his teaching abilities.
Steph, you might mention to him that your kids learned to speak English without the expertise of a qualified teacher. We humans are hard-wired to learn and to teach our native languages to our children. All we need to do is speak to them.

Miranda

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessedbee View Post
3.My husband works in the restaurant industry and works 5 nights a week seeing his kids 1 1/2 days per week. We believe HS will help with this as He can be with them at least a few hours per day.
One point I would make is that the only thing worse than losing their father's language would be losing time with their father. The more connected they are with their father the more likely they are to hold onto their French in the long run.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.