Mothering Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Have you read The Dance of Anger by Harriet Lerner? She has a great example in the book about a mother and daughter disagreeing on the parenting decisions the daughter was making. Honestly, I sided with the mother (who didn't want the baby to cry it out), but the advice was geared towards getting the mother to butt out. It is great advice and I have worked it with my own mother.

My therapist told me long ago, when people offer you unsolicited advice, you should say, "Well, that's an interesting perspective." or "Well, that's one way of looking at it."

You let them know you heard them, it is clear you don't agree, and you close the conversation making it clear you aren't interested in defending yourself or debating with them. This never fails to work with family members.

I don't try to convince anyone of my beliefs unless I think they are open to hearing me. Otherwise I am wasting valuable energy and emotion I could put towards better use.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.