Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DS is nearly 6 months old. He's quite talkative, and lately I've noticed that when he's really talking or is excited, he takes these big gasps of air. It's not even with every breath. He'll say something, take a big gasp, talk soem more, take a few normal breaths, take a big gasp, talk some more. He also does it when he's excited, like when he sees the cat walk over to him.<br><br>
Does anyone elses babe do this? Is it normal? I left a message with our ped today to see what she thinks, but I thought I'd ask you mamas in the meantime. I have asthma, so I'm a little paranoid when it comes to breathing things, but his breathing is perfectly quiet and normal otherwise.

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
Very Normal. Many babies do this when they are happy and/or excited.<br><br>
So worry not!<br><br>
Congrats on your new happy baby!<br><br>
Lex

·
Registered
490 Posts
Mine does this too. It really freaked me out at first, but once I realized that he was breathing fine the rest of the time and only did this when he got excited, I calmed down. It's such a scary sound though!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Same here! My Ava gasps when excited, or whenever she breathes in cold air or feels the wind on her face. Lately, her big gasps have morphed into her scrinching up her nose and exhaling rapidly (and loudly!) through her nose.<br><br>
For a truly exciting moment (ie petting the cat, seeing our friends' great dane, when she's about to nurse & catches a glimpse of my boob), she'll mix the gasp and forceful nose exhale together, one following the other. I love it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts