Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what others' experiences have been. Most sources I've seen recommend at least 1 yr with obviously good head control. Other sources I've read suggest 2 years old might be a better age. What have been your experiences as to age to begin allowing baby to ride in a trailer and to use a helmet? Any specific trailer brand recommendations? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,057 Posts
I've heard one year. With DS, adopted at one year, we waited a bit because he was soooo small -- 13 lbs. I'll bet he was closer to 2 before we put him in the trailer; we tried the seat thing first; but as I remember he had difficulties with the helmet. It would hit the back of the seat and come down over his eyes. DD is much bigger, nearly 18 lbs now at 8 months, and I'm dying to bike with her, but I might end up waiting because it's so bloody hot here during the summer months (those last until about late October here). So, maybe she'll be 14 months before I'm comfortable.

·
Registered
477 Posts
ds was just under a year the first summer we tried it. (very good head/neck control, and very short trips)
He hated it, he hated the helmet, and so we nixed it.
This year, (18mo-ish)he loves and adores it. But now, the kids don't both fit in the trailer side by side! lol (I have tall, solid kids. They're both about 2-3sizes ahead of their peers)

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
We used the trailer when dd was about 10 months old. She liked it for short trips. I made sure to get one where the seat could recline, and that seemed to help her be more comfortable.

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
I have tried it several diferent times. It seems like my kiddos like it best after 18 months and even better if they are alone in it (w/o sibling). The helmet has really frustrated my youngest (19 months) but he is getting used to it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
hey i'd like to hijack your thread a little- sorry!
i just found this out (never occured to me) about babies being a year old, and im a little grumpy about it.
we bike. EVERYWHERE. pretty much, unless its more than a half hour away. we bought our house based on its location and being able to bike everywhere.
but we are due to have a LO next month ( you know, right when it gets warm again and biking is really really nice) and suddenly its dawning on me that we cant bike with the lo- is this totally true?
couldnt i put the baby in a sling and bike with it like that?
do i really have to drive everywhere for a whole year?
couldnt i put the baby in its car seat and put its car seat in the trailer? (im really grasping straws here. )

thoughts?
i know.
:

·
Registered
261 Posts
mm. thanks. i did cross post in green living and in ages and stages.
it just seems to me like there should be another option. i mean, right now my option is i walk three miles to take the babe to the doctors.
sounds doable but probably not like something i would actually do. you know?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I cycle with my 7 month old in a bike trailer. I bought a decent trailer with nice suspension and he is quite comfy back there. I have a little additional support to help keep his head and body from slumping too much while sleeping. I have the Chariot CX1 and love it.

You might check with your pedi and get his/her opinion on where your LO one stands, developmentally, in terms of readiness for biking. Also check with your local and state laws concerning kids and bikes. State law where I live specifically states the following. I suspect that most states are in the same arena as this.

1. If you carry children or other passengers inside an enclosed trailer or other device that will adequately restrain them and protect their heads in a crash, they need not wear helmets.

2. You may not carry any child between the ages of 1 to 4, or weighing 40 pounds or less, anywhere on a single-passenger bike except in a baby seat attached to the bike. The child must be able to sit upright in the seat and must be held in the seat by a harness or seatbelt. Their hands and feet must be out of reach of the wheel spokes.

3. You may not carry any child under the age of 1 on your bike, even in a baby seat; this does not preclude carrying them in a trailer.

Here is some helpful information regarding cycling and kids.
http://www.bhsi.org/little1s.htm
http://hea-www.harvard.edu/~fine/opi...dcarriers.html
http://www.ibike.org/education/infant.htm

Of course no one wants to put themselves out there and say 'go ahead and bike with your baby' but I think that if you do your research, have your child evaluated, purchase proper and appropriate equipment... then you can make the determination of whether or not you want to assume the risks.

I researched this topic to death and could add tons more. Let me know if I can help at all.

~kat

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
I had my son in a trailer last year, and he hated it. He was about 16 months or so when we tried, and he screamed after about 5 minutes until I took him out. I ended up putting him in a seat in front of me on the bike. He loved that, but it just doesn't feel comfortable for me to bike any distance with him there, so I am going to try him in the trailer again this year. If he still hates it, I may have to give up biking for a couple of years.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
My ds LOVED the bike trailer last summer. He was 12 months and what we did was put his bucket seat carseat in the trailer. So he was buckled in five point harness style and then his carseat was installed in the trailer. My dh and I would go on long like four or five hour bike rides and he would fall asleep or just enjoy the ride. This summer he will be too big to do the carseat in the trailer, but we bought him a helmet and will be using the seatbelt.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone for such good information!! I don't think DD will tolerate being in her carseat in the trailer, so she would have to be buckled in. The guy at our local bikeshop said that all babies in the trailer have to have a helmet, and so far DD is too small for the helmet. But, I do plan on calling her pedi and getting his opinion. I will also research all these good links! Thanks again! I was definitely looking forward to a summer of bike riding. We live near a lake and I was hoping to bike over in the mornings so DD could see the birds and then bike home. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
I got my bike trailer when DS was 11 months old, and he's always loved it. He has the Giro me2 helmet, which is adjustable (and cute!) so it still fits with more room to grow, two years later.

I think if you could rig up a way to securely fasten an infant seat in the trailer, I would probably be ok with putting a younger baby in. I don't know that I'd go much before 6 months, though. It can get pretty bumpy in there, which would be more my concern than the head protection, as most trailers are very well protected in case of a rollover. That said, that would be the only time I would consider having a baby in the trailer without a helmet...if they were securely fastened in an infant seat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.