Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was blabbing about how silly my mother was for saying i couldnt bike with my new babe and thenmy midwife agreed with her.
apparently im supposed to wait until the babe is a year old....
ug. this never occured to me.
we bike. EVERYWHERE. pretty much, unless its more than a half hour away. we bought our house based on its location and being able to bike everywhere.
but we are due to have a LO next month ( you know, right when it gets warm again and biking is really really nice) and suddenly its dawning on me that we cant bike with the lo- is this totally true?
couldnt i put the baby in a sling and bike with it like that?
do i really have to drive everywhere for a whole year?
couldnt i put the baby in its car seat and put its car seat in the trailer? (im really grasping straws here. )
it just seems to me like there should be another option. i mean, right now my option is i walk three miles to take the babe to the doctors.
sounds doable but probably not like something i would actually do. you know?

thoughts?
i know.
:

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Yea, that is true. I was pretty dissappointed when I found it out too. Apparently, a babies head is not stable enough for the bouncing of a car seat placed in a trailer. A sling is dangerous, although I really never understood why. We waited until 11 months old, although DS did not really enjoy it until he was about 13 MO (we now ride with a baby seat on an xtracycle everywhere and he loves it).

Sorry, it is a a dissappointment. Biking with baby was one of the first things I looked forward to when I found out I was pregnant.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I could have sworn I heard about trailers that fit carseats. Look into it, b/c I'm sure I heard about them.

I've always heard don't bike til the baby's 6 months old, not a year. But, get a trailer that fits a car seat and have at it if you're concerned about stuff like that.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I know that for some bike trailers, you can get an insert for under 1 years old. I have inspected them, and found them to be quite impressive in terms of design and protection (they are suspended, so any bumping would be severely dampened).

I, myself, however, never felt comfortable with a baby in the bike trailer under 1 year old though. It was a source of many arguments between myself and my husband, who is European and had the backing of all the european mothers in our area who use them.

They are tested here by the government, and many people here in Europe use them constantly without incident, so I say that it depends on where you are biking. I would trust the inserts if the trailer had a small tumble, but I would not trust anything to protect a newborn in the case of a collision with an automobile or even other bike at high speeds. Therefore, I would only use it if I could be sure that we were on one of our "soft trails" that we have here in Europe (the kinds that are gentle, rolling, no bumps and no other traffic).

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
The real issue is the baby's neck being strong enough to hold the helmet up. I have seen people in my neighborhood ride bikes with infants in the bike seat so people do it, but they are taking a risk. Also, I went looking for helmets when my younger dd was 15 months and had a hell of a time finding one that fit her small head, so it may still be an issue even after a year.

If things are close enough to bike to, can you walk to places with babe in stroller or sling? At least some of the places?

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I don't bike, but I wouldn't without a helmet and therefore wouldn't take my child without a helmet, either. If you can use the car seat in a trailer, that might be better, but I was told no jogging (or any jostling activity like biking would be) til 6 months. Check with you ped though -- I just heard that the AAP just upped the age for forward-facing in the car to 2 years old instead of 20 lbs/1 year old. So it might be a year for biking and jogging now too.

I know it's bad timing and I admire you for preferring not to drive, but don't save the environment at the cost of giving your baby shaken-baby syndrome!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
When my DS was a babe we biked. We have a 2 child bike trailer and I strapped his car seat in there. I had a head rest that held his hed FIRMLY in place so it wasn't bouncing all over. I also made it a point to avoid as many bumps as I could. He loved our bike rides! I felt totally safe with him in there, but I would never have taken him biking any other way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.