Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that trailers are supposed to be safer, but I just am not interested in getting one -- I really want to have a mounted infant bike seat on my bike (I know babies are supposed to be 12m to use one). I haven't heard anything bad in particular about them, but before buying one, if anyone has had a bad experience because of the nature of these seats themselves, please let me know.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
we just got a wee ride center mounted seat - haven't actually taken it for a ride since we're in michigan and it's winter! BUT.. we have rolled around the family room.. I don't see any interference with my legs or ability to get on/off the bike.. so far we really love it! Got it at amazon or 50 bucks!

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
I have a Bell seat that goes on the back. I got it on sale at Toys R Us with a gift card (only one I can afford). It works well for us, though I suspect that DD's legs are going to be too long and get in my way by the time she approaches the weight limit on it.

I've accidentally dropped the bike a couple of times, and DD wasn't hurt. I secure her in there very thoroughly, it has a 5-pt. harness in it and a bar over the lap. The only thing is I have to be mindful not to try to lift the bike or balance it too much by that bar because it will come out w/ enough force yanking on it.

All in all it's been good for us. For a babe under 2 I'd definitely consider one of those seats that goes in front of you, though.

·
Premium Member
3,205 Posts
I've used both a child seat (mounted on the main frame post) & a trailer. I have heard that the the bad thing about adult frame mounted seats is that it jars the child's back. Alternatively, in a bike trailer (attached to the main frame) the child's head is right next to the car's exhaust pipe in the adjoining lane when we are at a traffic light. I hated that.
:

Perhaps we needed to use both a bike helmet in conjunction with a gas mask in a child safe trailer, maybe then the message would have come across.

And now that the kids are older we each ride our own bike.... carefully through the same set of traffic lights.....

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
We have this one, and I really like it. You can pop it off your bike if you're not using it or to move it between 2 bikes. They also have a reclining version which I wish we'd tried--with most bike seats we tried, their helmet makes it hard for them to rest against the sides if they fall asleep.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
We have this Topeak one, and the reason we got it is that it has its own suspension built in, so it's not quite as bumpy a ride. It's waaaay sturdy, and comes off the bike easily when not in use. We've been getting ds used to it, but the weather hasn't been cooperating.

·
Registered
213 Posts
we have one, and i love it. I love how she can slap my butt while riding.

kind of off topic, but I am always so impressed when I go to Holland - I've seen women biking home from the grocery store with a baby on the back seat, a baby on the front, and two six packs of bottled water hanging off the sides.

Wish I was that fit.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
i had a really hard time with the bike seat on the back. it made it harder to balance and i kept wanting to look behind me to check on the baby. i like the trailer better, but i still want to look back there! i would totally try out one of the front seat things...

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I have a rear-mounted seat that I use because someone gave it to us. My dd likes it and it's OK. Personally I'd rather have a front-mounted one but we'll stick with this for now since we have it. You just need to practice a bit with it and then it's OK. I don't do any superfast riding when she's with me but it's a wonderful way to get some exercise.

·
Registered
960 Posts
my husband has the front-mounted type (don't know the brand) and really likes it. the only problem is that my dd takes all of the wind in her face so they don't go out when it is chilly (which means that they havn't been for a long time now.)
i asked him to get that type b/c i feel like he could see what was going on with her in the front and i think the same about the wagons- all of the exhuast and, imagine a turning car doesn't see that you are pulling something!
mcs

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PMolly View Post
I have this one: http://www.ibertinc.com/
I haven't tried it yet, though. I like that it's in front instead of in back.

We have this and LOVE it. Cannot stress that enough. LOVE IT! Ds adores his bike (14 months). Oh- weight limit- 35 lbs though. We've almost reached it

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I have to update.. I wrote earlier and said that we hadn't ridden our weeride yet.. well that all changed this evening! It was AWESOME! Our girl loved it too.. she kept saying WEEEEEEEE WEEEEEEEEEEE!! (maybe that's where it gets its name!?) I'll add a couple pictures to myspace acct.. since it's easier than updating my website or adding all the pics to winkflash, so if you want to see them click my siggy name - I'll add them right now!
I can't wait til it's warmer when we can ride for longer!! YIPPPPEE!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I live in the Netherlands and have bike seats on the front and back and love riding with my two kids. I also have saddle bags under my back seat and can load lots of groceries. I also have a bike trailer, and people here have remarked to me that they are more unsafe because they are level with the cars and not easily seen. It's much easier riding with mounted seats plus you can talk to your kids. I put my daughter in the front seat when she was eight months old and could sit well on her own. I think the most important thing about putting a child's bike seat on your bike is that you have a very sturdy and stable bike.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by clogmama View Post
I live in the Netherlands and have bike seats on the front and back and love riding with my two kids. I also have saddle bags under my back seat and can load lots of groceries. I also have a bike trailer, and people here have remarked to me that they are more unsafe because they are level with the cars and not easily seen. It's much easier riding with mounted seats plus you can talk to your kids. I put my daughter in the front seat when she was eight months old and could sit well on her own. I think the most important thing about putting a child's bike seat on your bike is that you have a very sturdy and stable bike.
Oh can you please post a pic! I would love to see that again!
:

The bike trailer vs the seat....I think you are right, esp in the Netherlands. I can think of different scenarios where either would be safer. If i was riding on the paved trails here in Germany, the trailor would be nice - but going through town to get groceries, I prefer the seat and having her close to me.

As for falling (previous post), it's kind of unfounded. Its extra weight on the back of your bike. In my situations, i have tumbled a bit when dismounting, and my daughter did not get hurt, because i hit the ground first, and the bike on top of me - protecting her from touching the ground. And then, if you are strong, you are still holding the bike "off" or up from you, as if instinctual. That's the only situation i can speak for.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.