Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
628 Posts
Stories about this bill have been going around for at least a year, if not longer. I read that the bill was originally crafted with the intent of keeping Clinton in office, but now Republicans have latched onto the idea. I have no idea if this is factual or not.

·
Premium Member
42,757 Posts
It is unlikely to be factual. I didn't see anything on snopes but the only places I saw that mentioned such a thing were small websites and not news sites.

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
It's factual. You can see the text (simple as it is) here:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/...H.J.RES.24.IH:

You can read Rep. Hoyer's remarks here (begins at the end of the page and the bulk is on the next):

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...me=2005_record

He's a Democrat, btw. Apparently, the amendment wouldn't allow Bush (and, I suppose, any other previous President) to run again but would repeal term limits for any future Presidents once the amendment was ratified (which could take a long time).

Anyway, not sure if I fully agree with him, but he certainly makes some interesting points.

·
Registered
8,277 Posts
Don't forget what you learned in your civics class folks:

"Article. V.

"The Congress, whenever two thirds of both Houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose Amendments to this Constitution, or, on the Application of the Legislatures of two thirds of the several States, shall call a Convention[/v] for proposing Amendments, which, in either Case, shall be valid to all Intents and Purposes, as Part of this Constitution, when ratified by the Legislatures of three fourths of the several States, or by Conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other Mode of Ratification may be proposed by the Congress; Provided that no Amendment which may be made prior to the Year One thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any Manner affect the first and fourth Clauses in the Ninth Section of the first Article; and that no State, without its Consent, shall be deprived of its equal Suffrage in the Senate."

http://www.house.gov/Constitution/Constitution.html

·
Registered
686 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by paquerette
http://www.infowars.com/articles/ps/...t_for_life.htm

I am absolutely befuddled. Someone please read this and tell me it's not true.
OK, I'll tell ya it's not true. Well, it may be true that there is a bill to repeal the 22nd amendment... but, that will not make Bush "president for life"...

Rather, it will only mean that someone can run for and be elected as president for more than two terms, in the same way that FDR was elected as president for more than two terms prior to the passage of the 22nd amendment.

:

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragonfly
Apparently, the amendment wouldn't allow Bush (and, I suppose, any other previous President) to run again but would repeal term limits for any future Presidents once the amendment was ratified (which could take a long time).
I don't understand how this proposal would prevent previous presidents from running again. All it states is that it would abolish the 22nd amendment. I tried to read the link you listed, but I could only download the first page for some reason, so I only got like one paragraph of the guy's comments.

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
You just need to scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Next Page" (or something similar).

I'm not entirely clear how it would work to keep previous Presidents from running again, either, but that's what Hoyer said. What I think he may have meant is that by the time the amendment is ratified, Bush will be pretty much out of politics. It's a huge, lengthy ordeal to amend the Constitution (thankfully).

·
Registered
25,064 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarihah
Stories about this bill have been going around for at least a year, if not longer. I read that the bill was originally crafted with the intent of keeping Clinton in office, but now Republicans have latched onto the idea. I have no idea if this is factual or not.
ITA, and the republicans talked about this in 1988 when Reagan prepared to leave the presidency after two terms.

The 22nd amendment was the brain child of the republicans in the 1940s to be sure no one like FDR ever got into power again and stayed there. It is their own fault.

·
Registered
25,064 Posts
Actually he has brothers as Jeb, governor of FL, who has presidential aspirations as well as Jeb's son, George Prescott Bush, who can clearly reach out to the Latino constituency.

Plenty of Bushes to head to the White House, no need to cancel the 22nd Amendment.

·
Registered
25,064 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RowansDad
Don't forget what you learned in your civics class folks:

"Article. V.

"The Congress, whenever two thirds of both Houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose Amendments to this Constitution, or, on the Application of the Legislatures of two thirds of the several States, shall call a Convention[/v] for proposing Amendments, which, in either Case, shall be valid to all Intents and Purposes, as Part of this Constitution, when ratified by the Legislatures of three fourths of the several States, or by Conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other Mode of Ratification may be proposed by the Congress; Provided that no Amendment which may be made prior to the Year One thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any Manner affect the first and fourth Clauses in the Ninth Section of the first Article; and that no State, without its Consent, shall be deprived of its equal Suffrage in the Senate."

http://www.house.gov/Constitution/Constitution.html

As a teacher of thirty years standing, civics has not been in the schools in CA for twenty-five years. I recall it being phased out because it is "irrelevant".

YOUR age and MY age are showing.

Oh, there I go peddling around here again. Guess I don't belong.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Maybe not G.W. Bush. But Jeb Bush. With manipulation of computerized, no paper trail voting machines, the perpetual president is ensured. Oh, look. He got elected again. Wow. Well, whadda ya know.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tata
Maybe not G.W. Bush. But Jeb Bush. With manipulation of computerized, no paper trail voting machines, the perpetual president is ensured. Oh, look. He got elected again. Wow. Well, whadda ya know.
Karl Rove is an evil genius.

·
Premium Member
42,757 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by applejuice
Actually he has brothers as Jeb, governor of FL, who has presidential aspirations as well as Jeb's son, George Prescott Bush, who can clearly reach out to the Latino constituency.

Plenty of Bushes to head to the White House, no need to cancel the 22nd Amendment.
*twitch*

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
well, it's not like that would even be necessary.

Anyone familiar with Martial Law?

and who is the leader of the US military? the ultimate leader? you know.. Commander in Chief?

hmm..

and is there a threat of terrorism? has there been? could there be?

food for thought.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts