Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
24,832 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarihah
Stories about this bill have been going around for at least a year, if not longer. I read that the bill was originally crafted with the intent of keeping Clinton in office, but now Republicans have latched onto the idea. I have no idea if this is factual or not.
ITA, and the republicans talked about this in 1988 when Reagan prepared to leave the presidency after two terms.

The 22nd amendment was the brain child of the republicans in the 1940s to be sure no one like FDR ever got into power again and stayed there. It is their own fault.

· Registered
24,832 Posts
Actually he has brothers as Jeb, governor of FL, who has presidential aspirations as well as Jeb's son, George Prescott Bush, who can clearly reach out to the Latino constituency.

Plenty of Bushes to head to the White House, no need to cancel the 22nd Amendment.

· Registered
24,832 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RowansDad
Don't forget what you learned in your civics class folks:

"Article. V.

"The Congress, whenever two thirds of both Houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose Amendments to this Constitution, or, on the Application of the Legislatures of two thirds of the several States, shall call a Convention[/v] for proposing Amendments, which, in either Case, shall be valid to all Intents and Purposes, as Part of this Constitution, when ratified by the Legislatures of three fourths of the several States, or by Conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other Mode of Ratification may be proposed by the Congress; Provided that no Amendment which may be made prior to the Year One thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any Manner affect the first and fourth Clauses in the Ninth Section of the first Article; and that no State, without its Consent, shall be deprived of its equal Suffrage in the Senate."

http://www.house.gov/Constitution/Constitution.html

As a teacher of thirty years standing, civics has not been in the schools in CA for twenty-five years. I recall it being phased out because it is "irrelevant".

YOUR age and MY age are showing.

Oh, there I go peddling around here again. Guess I don't belong.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.