Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't decide if I want to even have a pacifer on hand just in case. My gut says no, stay away. I plan on breast feeding so I figure baby can use me if it needs to suck. I hope I don't offend anyone by saying this but I just hate seeing 1+ year olds with that plug in their mouth. I have some friends trying to ween their kids from the binkie and it is just horrible. I understand that some babies need to suck but I really want to avoid the whole pacifer thing all together. I think I will be tempted to give it to the baby if I even have one in the house. I mean it doesn't have a pacifer in the womb and does just fine.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree, I never wanted to give my son a binkie. But he started going for his thumb. I'd rather give him a binkie I can take away rather then a thumb that I can't. I sucked my thumb until I was 12!!! So I gave my son a binkie at night and naps only. His daycare on the other hand plugged it into his mouth all the time when he didn't need it. Now he's addicted.
: He even wakes in the middle of the night for it and I don't know how to break the habbit. Good post

·
Registered
790 Posts
I already have some passies in the house, but I don't plan on giving them to him unless it's a last resort. My nieces/nephews on my side of the family either didn't use them or weaned themselves early on. But we'll just have to see what works after he's here. I'm not opposed to them, but I don't push for them either. My MIL gave me the ones I have now without asking if we were using passies, so I'll hold onto them just in case. DH gets defensive when I say I'm not sure if I want to use them or not, but I'm going to be home with the baby 7am-7pm so what does he care?

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
I didn't for dd and I'm glad I didn't. However, I plan on having a little stash on hand for the triplets. I don't see how I'm going to be able to do it without them, kwim? I won't overuse them, but I can see them being very nice for when the 3rd baby is getting hungry, but I'm still nursing the first two.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
With our first, I had friends tell me to have one of every brand (they're all different shapes) on hand. I bought the Avent and the Evenflo ones because they were more breastfeeding-friendly in shape than many of the others. But we ended up not needing them.

Trust me, you'll know if your child needs one. If they're sucking on your finger constantly and it's getting to the point of driving you crazy, then I would consider buying one. Otherwise, I wouldn't spend the money on them just to potentially have them in your way.

I'm all for whatever works, but I don't like to introduce things that may cause problems down the road unless I truly believe they are necessary in my specific situation. So I would vote no...don't buy them.

·
Registered
770 Posts
We had one for our daughter, but it was just a joke. She would chew on it like a teething toy or put it in her mouth sideways. She was just not interested. There were times when I couldn't bf her, like in the check out at the grocery store, and I wished she would have taken to one then!

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
I didn't with ds and I won't with dd either, unless, as mlmkmm pointed out, she starts sucking her thumb. I was a major thumb sucker (until 10 or so
) and I agree that a binkie is easier to take away and it's actually better for oral development...

·
Registered
283 Posts
I would say to stay away from the pacifier at all costs! I am still trying to ween MYSELF off them. 20 years with a binky in my mouth, and I have 2 months to quit before the baby comes. I don't think it is as big of a deal if you are going to be there all the time, but if you are going to work, or the baby needs some extra security, I would say use a taggie blanket or something. They are less conspicuous as your child gets older.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
We have a couple...but we will only use them in the van. If I'm driving & the baby's fussing I'd rather one of the older kids pop a sucky in her mouth than have her screaming. We don't use them for "comfort sucking" though...that's what mama's breasts are for!
We've never had an issue with using them in that respect...in fact most of our babies have hated them...they know after a few minutes of sucking that they're not getting anything.

·
Registered
12,213 Posts
I did try to give each of mine a paci With my dd I did becasue she needed to suck a lot (and I mean almost constantly in the beginning) and I was fine with her mostly using me but sometimes I wanted/needed a break. But she wouldn't take paci anyway. I tried a few different kinds with her with no luck. With my ds I just thought I'd see if he would take one for times like in the car when he couldn't nurse, but again he wouldn't take one either.
I will wait and see with this one, if she/he seems to need to suck a lot then I might try, if she/he hates car rides and a paci soothes her then I'll use one.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I only used a pacifier with my 2 oldest kids. The hospital I delivered my DD stuck one in her mouth in the nursery without asking me, uggh was she ever hooked on it. She weaned off it with lots of stress and tears.
My other child who had one had colic so I would have tried anything to calm him down, but the paci wasn't the magic potion for him, the vacuum cleaner was. I refused to use pacis with the other 4 children and never had a problem with screaming, thumb sucking or anything else. I found baby wearing and nursing on demand always calmed them down and they never seemed to be looking for something extra to suck on, although I remember them just going through sucking motions without anything in their mouths for a little while. I definately won't be bothering with any this time around either.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
While doing research about ear infections (I'm trying to clear up one of my own- ick) I discovered that both pacifiers and bottle propping increase the chances of an infant getting an ear infection. (bottle propping is a much bbigger offender, though)

·
Premium Member
15,952 Posts
I don't do blinkies, dd just nursed ALOT, and I do mean alot, but I'd rather have her meet that need at the breast then elsewhere, same for this babe.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I didn't want to give one to DD, but she was a comfort nurser and a screamer in the car. When I say scream, I mean from the very first moment we put her in the seat in my hospital room she started shrieking, and she didn't stop for a year until her seat was forward facing. Unfortunately the paci only worked if you sat in the backseat with her, and she wouldn't take it elsewhere. My mother tried desperately but it didn't work. I was a little relieved I have to say.

Now however I am not so sure. With 2 coming I am thinking about this question more. I will not be able to comfort nurse 2 babies on demand even with a sling AND care for a 3 year old. It may be paci's at nap time. I pray they like the car.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I think it's up to your preference and the individual child's... Our girls have both taken pacis and have kept them for quite awhile, using them at night only until nearly three. Perhaps we have some sort of oral fixation issue in our family - dh had a paci til he was six, and he was bf til nearly two; I also bf both of our girls.

We'll have one on hand when our 3rd is born in a couple of months, and if he wants it he can have it. I have read over and over about how it interferes with bf but never had that problem myself, and our babies have been big and gained well, so no probs for us.

·
Registered
610 Posts
New reseach says that using a pacifier at bedtime and naptime can reduce the risk of SIDS. My dd had one b/call she wanted to do was suck so I was nursing her constantly and since she wasn't really hungry, the milk came back up rather forcefully
The "plug" solved the problem and we were both alot happier. She was done with it at 6 months. Now she has a stuffed bunny that she chews on when she gets tired. I am using one occasionally with ds and he hasn't shown any nipple confusion.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mama2 '05'06
New reseach says that using a pacifier at bedtime and naptime can reduce the risk of SIDS.
I thought this was the same research that said babies should sleep in cribs, not in their parents' beds, and was funded by baby gear manufacturers...

We're not planning to have any around the house, but when the first car ride happens (not until December when we visit the US), we may find one useful...

·
Registered
640 Posts
This is an interesting post, thank you! I think children will grow attached to certain objects, whether its a pacifier, blanket, stuffed animal, or whatever. With that said, I don't think pacifiers should be used as a method to keep a child from crying. On the other side of the story though, I can imagine that a child who cries constantly and regardless of what a mother can do to try to make him or her feel better, sometimes its a good thing to have as a last resort.

Can you tell I"m torn on the issue? I'm very interested to know what other moms will say. I think that if I'm home 24/7 with a newborn, regardless of how good my intentions are, I might resort to using one for my sanity. I know that might sound incredibly selfish to some, but I'm just being honest!

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
You probably won't need one in the beginning, and you have time to go buy one if you find you do need one later.
I don't like seeing 1+ year olds with pacis in their mouths either. It does often look like they're being "plugged up". DS had one in the NICU to help him learn to suck for food (they used it only during a feeding, so he'd get that sucking = full belly), but that was about it during that time. When he came home, I didn't use it at all at first, but then when we started going out and about, I found that it was useful to use in the car when I couldn't bf, obviously.
He was a comfort nurser, and was allowed to nurse whenever, unless I was driving or something. He never got addicted to the paci, since he got it so rarely.

My friend just had her 2nd baby several weeks ago, and she didn't use a paci with her first, but she's using one with this one. Apparently, the baby wants to comfort suck, but NOT at the breast! If you put her to the breast when she's not hungry, she'll scream. But if you give her a paci in that instance, she's happy. She's also a very efficient nurser and likes to do it quick and get it over with. So not all babies like to paci-nurse, but most do, I think.

So I say wait and see if you need one with your particular child. You never know until baby is here and you get to know him/her! And you definitely don't want to introduce one before you get bf'ing fully established anyway, so you won't need it in the first few weeks at least.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I didn't use a pacifier with my first. I am not totally opposed to using them with the second baby - we'll see. My first baby just didn't like them - she's been a thumb sucker since three months old. She doesn't suck her thumb often - mostly right before she falls asleep.

I don't really *like* paci's - but mostly when I see kids walking around with them all day long.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts