Mothering Forum banner

Birth art

444 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  MNSunshine 
#1 ·
Have any of you done birth art or plan on doing it this time around? I got the idea from Birthing From Within, but I may tweak mine and actually draw my birth treasure map. It will have positive birthing imagines of how I want my labor/delivery to go, positive words/mantras, etc. I did a general treasure map and it is amazing how much we can manifest when we put our energy into something.

I think I may start working on mine today as it's just awful and blizzard-like outside.
:

See less See more
#3 ·
I did a belly cast last time and I plan on doing one with all my pregnancy's. I won't do this one until the beginning of January though.

#4 ·
This might be a stupid question, but what do you do with the casts afterward? I considered getting one done last time but ended up not because I'm a little claustrophobic (silly, I know) and couldn't figure out what I'd do with it after. So I kept a journal instead.

#5 ·
We had to do birth art for my birth class and present them last night. I had DH trace an outline of my body and we filled in my torso with a collage of pictures cut out of a baby magazine That is a way to have a preservation of your shape but it rolls up nice and small. Some people did some really neat things. Lots of drawings. One mom made a tibetan prayer flag. Her husband wrote a poem to her from their baby and he is a geologist so he carved a figure of a pregnant woman out of a beautiful piece of stone. Another dad wrote a song to sing and play on guitar then made a 3 minute slideshow with subtitles of the story of when they found out they were expecting and how they have spent their pregnancy and had the song playing in the background. It was a lot of fun to see everyone's art!

Cindy

#6 ·
I painted mine and hung it up. I like the looks of it. It's also fun to show ds that this is how big mommy was when he was in my tummy. The first couple times he thought if he could see the back of the cast he would see himself. It took a while to explain that he wasn't in there anymore lol.

#8 ·
This doesn't really follow the concepts from Birthing from Within, but I'm a painter who's doing a series called 'The Birth Project', and I did a couple paintings of my own birth of Evangeline- the moment I caught her and the moment after I realized she was a girl. It is really wonderful to have these preserved in such a huge way- they're hanging now at my midwife's office, which I think is pretty cool.

I tried a cast with Axel, but we didn't do it right and I got to a point where I wanted if OFF. NOW. Not a good idea at 39 weeks.

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Queen of my Castle View Post
This doesn't really follow the concepts from Birthing from Within, but I'm a painter who's doing a series called 'The Birth Project', and I did a couple paintings of my own birth of Evangeline- the moment I caught her and the moment after I realized she was a girl. It is really wonderful to have these preserved in such a huge way- they're hanging now at my midwife's office, which I think is pretty cool.

I tried a cast with Axel, but we didn't do it right and I got to a point where I wanted if OFF. NOW. Not a good idea at 39 weeks.
I love looking at your work! It's so beautiful and inspiring!

I did finish my collage - I will try to post a picture of it in the next few days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.