Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a birth ball today (really a Pilates ball on sale!). I was hoping to find a good website with positions for the ball for pregnancy and birth, but don't see any good free info. Anyone know where I can look online?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I don't know a website, but I know that I labored through transition with my upper body draped over the ball, my knees on the floor. Sort of a modified hands and knees position.
Steph

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
i used a birth ball in the shower, which was great, i used it while leaning over the bed, pillows under my upper body and my friend used it kneeling on the bed and leaning over the ball......i loved the birth ball, it was so much more comfortable than anything else..

·
Registered
475 Posts
originally posted by Sahara

Quote:
I labored through transition with my upper body draped over the ball, my knees on the floor. Sort of a modified hands and knees position.
Yeah baby! Loved that position!

Sitting wide legged across the ball seemed to help stretch my pelvic floor as well.

And before the birth I used it exclusively as MY seat in the house. Nothing else was comfortable on my bum, especially at the dinner table.

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
Quote:
I don't know a website, but I know that I labored through transition with my upper body draped over the ball, my knees on the floor. Sort of a modified hands and knees position.
I went through every contraction of labor like this. Worked wonderfully for me. I rocked my hips in circles and dh applies pressure to my lower back.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
I spent 4 of the 6 hours of my last labor on the ball. My baby was posterior and though I did spend some of my time on hands and knees I didn't use the ball for that position. I sat on my ball and rocked forwards & back and sat with my feet wide apart slightly bouncing. I loved the ball. I am a personal trainer and use it a lot! For pregnancy it is great for crunches just lay with the ball between your butt and shoulder blades knees directly over your heals, hands behind your head and crunch - it's great to have strong abs for labor, all the better to push the baby out. I pushed out all of my babies in less than 10 minutes.

Keri
10/28

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool! Thanks for the responses. I used one a bit in labor with DD, but not much. And I'm pretty excited to have one now. I sat on it for a while last night and my hips felt way more open and comfortable! Yipee!

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Not only are they great in labor (in the shower with a shower sprayer aimed right on your back!) they're great prenatally and postnatally. Prenatally they make the best seat because they encourage the upright posture that helps baby stay away from the posterior positions. Plus, they utilize your core muscles so just sitting on your ball is a stomach muscle workout! They're great when you are near the end and have a lot of pressure or if your hips are sore.

After the baby they make a great baby-bouncer! Just back it up against something so it won't get out from under you (if you are unsure of your balance) sit with the baby and bounce away. If you refuse to walk the floors (like me) bouncing is a great alternative.

Love the birth ball.

Amy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.