Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went and got a stability ball and got the size recommended for my height but when blown up it seems so small to me. Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me but when I see women on birth balls they look way bigger. I even checked balls specifically for birth and the sizes and height suggestions are standard across the board. Should I keep the one I bought or get the larger one? What did you all do if you used one?

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Are you sure it's sufficiently inflated? How does it feel to you to sit on and lean on?

A birthing ball, IIRC, is a yoga ball going by another name, and yoga balls are pretty cheap in my neck of the woods (you can sometimes find 'em on sale for $3 at Marshall's), so what's the worst that happens if you get the next bigger one? You inflate it, discover it doesn't work for you, and use the one you had already, right? I say get a bigger one and see how it looks and feels.

·
Registered
204 Posts
For my "it hurts to sit on the couch" ball, I got the largest size (recommended for people like 6'6", but I'm 5'4") because I wanted my hips higher than my knees. It's great for sitting----I don't feel like I'm squatting, and it still has a little give. But for a "birth ball" as in one to sit on to help open my pelvis and be able to lean over during labor, I made sure the m/w has a small one. I could never lean over my huge sitting one. So I say get both, for different reasons.

·
Registered
342 Posts
We have two - one that's the recommended size for me at 5'1", the other that is the next size up. The next size up is much better! As someone else said, the important thing is that your hips are above your knees. But, the little one seems like it might be better for leaning over in labor, so maybe get two different sizes!

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THANKS!! yes maybe i need two. i wanted it specifically for sitting right now, so my knees are lower than my hips as has been said. the small one doesn't look good for this but i can see how in labor it would be good for squatting.

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
One thing about most yoga balls I've read is that you need to inflate them, bounce on them for a while and then inflate them again because they will stretch. Usually on the first inflate they are not the full size.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
One thing about most yoga balls I've read is that you need to inflate them, bounce on them for a while and then inflate them again because they will stretch. Usually on the first inflate they are not the full size.
Yup. Most instructions tell you to blow it up as far as you can then wait a few hours and add more air.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The height recommendation is for if you plan to use it for yoga. You can throw that out the window if you're using it as a birthing ball. I'm 5'3" and the large size is the most comfortable for me to sit on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.