Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any suggestions on where to buy? Online or a store (preferably one that would be found nationwide)? I found some online but I really don't know what I would be looking for in one. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
62 Posts
You have to be really careful about the cheap-o exercise balls, they are only designed to hold a certain amount of weight. I remember from my last pregnany my Bradley teacher said something about making sure it was puncture-proof, so if you do happen to roll on something sharp it won't just pop it will slowly leak so you have time to get off. Good luck finding one--I ordered mine online (I don't remember where) but I *loved* sitting on it in the last tri

·
Registered
291 Posts
From what I understand, there's some difference between an actual birth ball and an exercise ball. It has to do with construction, but beyond that, I don't recall the details. Many women use exercise balls without having any problems - I believe the construction is such that exercise balls are easier to burst and have the potential to be dangerous with a pregnant woman atop. If you have concerns about that, might be worth posting an inquiry over on the midwife/doula forum.

Here's a good site for finding birth balls and accessories: http://www.birthsource.com/scripts/p...?idCategory=22

And according to their information, the difference is that exercise balls will pop, whereas a birth ball will deflate if it gets a hole, allowing the woman to get off before hitting the floor.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Okay, after I posted, I went off to make my own purchase, which I'd been meaning to do for a couple of months now. Found a great site that has the FitBall much cheaper - only $12! And shipping was much less than what I found at "birth" sites as well. So I got a ball, pump, and plug for $31 (including the $8 shipping). Other places wanted around $45 for the same (including shipping and handling).

So, head for this site if you're looking for something less expensive, good quality (medical), and actually for less $$ than someplace like Walmart.

Allegro Medical

1 - 8 of 8 Posts