Mothering Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We touched on this a little while ago and it's time for signing up!! :D

What is a birth bead exchange? Each participant sends a set (or two) of beads to the organizer (see details below) and the organizer splits up the beads so that each person receives a new set of beads, one bead from each lovely lady that participates! Then, you are free to do with the beads as you will. Many people string them onto a necklace or a bracelet to wear during labor!

Beads? Where do you find those? There are specialty bead shops out there, but you don't have to go looking for one of those unless you want to! Places like Joann's, Hobby Lobby, Michael's and other craft stores have bead sections! (I know that Walmart even has some options!)

Any more details that are needed to participate? Yes! You have two weeks from today to let me know you are interested! On November 2, I will send a private message to those participating giving final details that are needed for you to send out your beads (like how many beads you need to purchase, my address, etc.). You will have through the month of November to send your bead package to me. Once I get the beads, I will repackage and ship your new set to you before the new year!

What to include in your package to the organizer: A set (or 2) of beads (one for each person participating, a note explaining why you chose that bead(s) along with a note of encouragement/quote/etc., and your address. Please also include $3 with your beads so I can pay for shipping back your package to you!

This was a really special and wonderful part of my DDC last time. Let's share beads and notes of encouragement with each other! Comment that you are in if you are interested in participating!

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to show you what I did with my beads last time!

Attachments

Reactions: TeeThatsMe

·
Registered
154 Posts
I would be in but shipping to Canadia is more expensive I bet. Ah well.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I am in!
@murrelet, I did a cursory check and don't think it would cost TOO much to send to you in Canada... The SASE angle might be a little tougher, but surely if you just included a shipping envelope, the cost of sending one or two internationally wouldn't be a total disaster? I just want you included! :) @jodieanneanton, what do you think? Is this doable? We are perhaps lucky that we are not VERY far-flung, country-wise... Seems like perhaps three or four of our more active mamas are outside the USA, do I have that about right?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@murrelet and others... I am willing to ship to any country our DDC members are in. Last time I did this, there were a couple Canadians involved and it was really no big deal. No need for special envelopes, just a couple dollars more for shipping. Another thing about the international shipping would be for the out of the United States members to try to send their beads to me towards the beginning of the window as opposed to the end as it usually takes longer to get here.

ALSO, there is no reason to send me an envelope unless you are so inclined. Last time, I was able to re-use about 80% of the envelopes that came to me! :D Yeay for recycling (or, would it be re-using?)!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Jodie's the best. :joy

·
Registered
745 Posts
Sign me up! I can't wait!

·
Registered
360 Posts
I definitely want to do this!

·
Registered
154 Posts
@murrelet and others... I am willing to ship to any country our DDC members are in. Last time I did this, there were a couple Canadians involved and it was really no big deal. No need for special envelopes, just a couple dollars more for shipping. Another thing about the international shipping would be for the out of the United States members to try to send their beads to me towards the beginning of the window as opposed to the end as it usually takes longer to get here.

ALSO, there is no reason to send me an envelope unless you are so inclined. Last time, I was able to re-use about 80% of the envelopes that came to me! :D Yeay for recycling (or, would it be re-using?)!
Alrighty! I'm in then :)

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
@murrelet, @TeeThatsMe and @jodieanneanton - I'm a heck of a lot farther than Canada, but I wouldn't mind giving it a go if we could work it out. I did consider that I might be able to buy the beads online and ship straight to Jodie? I wouldn't mind paying for the extra shipping to me. I have no idea what that would cost, but my DH is constantly buying parts for his motorbike from the US, so I gather it can't be that bad.

My only other concern is that it's highly likely that my bub will make an appearance prior to me receiving any beads back. But I'm guessing it would make a nice memento regardless? And I would still get to be a part of other's bracelets or necklaces :love

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I'm in!

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I want to bump this so it is seen by everyone who wants to participate! :D

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bumping this because, c'mon! You want to sign up! It will be sooooo fun and meaningful. :heartbeat

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:bump:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Double confession:

1. I am NOT very sentimental.
2. I AM irresponsible and cannot be trusted to ship anything to anyone in a timely manner.

Those confessions said, I feel an incredible connection to this DDC and I already hold each person (and their babes and births) in a close place in my heart. I can't be trusted to do birth beads, but I am pretty invested in the emotional well-being of the wonderful ladies here. And I hope after everyone tells their DPs they're in labor, they post a new thread so I can "be" with them in thought and prayer.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Got my beads ready! I will mail them on Monday :)

1 - 20 of 61 Posts