Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On 11-13-05 my water broke at 5:00AM with a trickle after I went to the bathroom. I stood there for a few moments to realize what was happening and grabbed a pad. As I walked to bed I felt it gush out some more so I knew my water had broken. I called the midwives who told me to come in to get checked. By 7:30 I got to the Hospital to get checked, they did a non-stress test and exam. I was sent home and told to keep track of contractions and if nothing happened tonight then I should come in the next morning at 8AM.<br><br>
I started having contractions that were noticable by 11AM. I labored at home until 11PM the 13th then went to the North Shore Birth Center. When we got there at midnight I was 3 cm and stayed at the Birth Center until noonish Mon when I was 7cm begging for an epidural and I started to have a heavy bleeding. My baby was posterior and my back pain was horrific!! Plus I was having contractions with no break for about 30 min at a time which just drained me. So we wheeled over to the hospital (just across the parking lot) and by the time I got there and settled in a room (about 15 minutes!) I was just about 10cm and was told I could push! So I didn't get any drugs but didn't need them once it came to pushing! I pushed for 1hour 20 minutes and got my bebe!<br><br>
Charles Gibson Strickland was born Monday 11-14-05 at 2:46PM drug free and weighed in at 8lbs 8 oz and 22 inches!<br><br>
I lost a ton of blood and was very close to needing a blood transfusion, so my first week was very difficult.. I am still a bit weak and get winded going up and down stairs. Charlie is doing very good and is a little over 9lbs now. His sleeping is odd and we are up most nights until 4AM when he gives up and konks out until 7ish. So I nap a lot in between feedings! His nursing is ok.. but not the best.. he was kept in the nursery for 17 hours because he had a problem regulating his temperature, his glucose was very low and his stomach was abnormally bloated. So he was given bottles and then we tried BFing.. his latch isn't the best but we are working on it.<br><br>
I am so happy to have him here! I love him!<br><br>
Linda

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
congratulations!<br>
thanks for sharing your story :)

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
congrats, and make sure when you nurse him you are belly to belly. No one told me it made any difference when I had my first, and the latch was not very good, but I was holding her like I would hold a bottle fed baby, and so the baby's head wasn't in a good position. It took weeks to figure it out...It wasn't till 11 years later someone told me about the belly to belly and when I had my son, he latched right on and had no problems whatsoever....hope that helps...

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions.. I try to keep us belly to belly but he always turns,.... I will totally kep working on it..<br><br>
thanks!!<br><br>
Linda

1 - 4 of 4 Posts