Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, we have decided on a UC. I called every (listed) midwife in my immediate area and didn't really "click" with any one of them, plus I'm just a loner anyway and don't really care for people up my butt.<br><br>
Anyhow, according to my aunt, who's a nurse at the local hospital (and who STRONGLY supports our UC choices) said that there's virtually no way I could get a birth certificate for the baby without the hospital demanding to see the baby, poking, prodding and inspecting, which I'd really rather try to avoid.<br><br>
So, question for the more experienced UC'ers... how do I go about this now without having to deal with red tape bs? I really just want my UC and not to leave my house for a while after the birth... just stay home, bond, and relax with my little one. I really don't need the aggravation of a birth certificate during my "special time" with baby. Any input would be GREATLY appreciated.

·
Premium Member
15,078 Posts
Getting a BC does not require one to take baby to the hospital. I have had seven homebirths and have seven BCs and have never taken my babies to the hospital.<br><br>
The requirements for each state are different. But the most important info that you need is <b>proof of pregnancy</b> (which is some type of pos pg test note from an agency, or perhaps a copy of note from a Dr where you got prenatal care; I always have at least one prenatal visit just for this purpose) and <b>proof of live birth</b> (this can be in the form of statements from witnesses to the birth or a copy of a Dr. note from babies first check up, which is my preferred method-I just take baby in for a "well" check BEFORE the cord comes completely off, this gives the Dr an absolute time line.).<br><br>
I also always get 2-3 witness statements saying that I was pg and had a baby (these statements included baby's name, birth date, and the witnesses contact info). The witnesses do not have to be present at the birth, although if you have anyone present (even if in the other room) they are the best choices for witnesses.<br><br>
I have never needed anything further than this, other than basic "procedure" stuff (like in IN I had to provided proof of residence).<br><br>
The best thing to do is to call the health department before you have the baby. Don't tell them your name, but tell them you had a baby at home (I always tell them it already happened so there is no questions or confusion) and you need to register the birth, and ask them what to do or who to contact. Half the time it is the health department, and another half the time it is the office of vital statistics. But by calling before the birth, you will know exactly what you will be required to have and can prepare for it. They should give you a list of information that you will need to bring with you or mail in to register the birth.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Varies based on wehre you are. I had NO issues gettign a BC/SSN for my UP/UCed baby in WA state. No hospitals required.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts