Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I had an interesting MW appt.

She suggested it was time to register for birth classes, as they can fill up.

She also suggested considering a doula. I hadn't thought about that since we would have a MW. She said they can be especially good if one's partner might not be great with birth, and that convinced me! My DH doesn't always handle stress well.

Anybody else choosing between birth classes, doulas, similar things?

Fortunately with birth classes, that's one easy choice for us, I want to do hypnobabies. Choosing a doula is another story, with the MW's recommendations and the doulas listed on the hypnobabies site, so many of them sound fantastic, and as first timers we don't really know what we will need.

·
Registered
408 Posts
It's best to interview Doulas to see who you connect with and feel most comfortable with. Prices can vary widely as well. We initially planned to use one, but then decided it was unnecessary for us (as my husband has become more informed during the pregnancy through reading Ina May Gaskin's books anf exposing him to videos). I know, however, that Doulas can be extremely helpful and beneficial so just go looking at profiles, read their statements, get recommendations and set up interviews.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I just hired a doula this weekend - I'm 16 weeks along. I was told that "the good ones book up fast!" in my city and that I need to have it handled by the beginning of the 2nd tri, eesh! Anwaywas, yes, there were tons of options. I prioritized my interests and needs, set a budget cap, and made a big spread sheet for my spouse to look over. I talked to a handful, met with two, and connected with one of the two so it was a clear choice.

We haven't signed up for birth classes yet, our doula recommended a particular Bradley method teacher--- not sure if her logistics will work out for us, but we'll see.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah, that sounds great Smella! Yeah, I think the spreadsheet is key, since they all offer different packages. Maybe we should also call and set up an interview with one that I am semi-sure about even before we do that.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My spreadsheet is almost finished, and anyway I've chosen which 3 doulas to interview, yay! Will schedule interviews tomorrow. My choice was simplified when both the hypnobabies instructor and my MW both basically said it wasn't necessary for the doula to have training in hypnobabies, especially if I didn't mind the occasional terminology mix-ups.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes! Get your doula early because many only scheduled 1-2 births per month to make sure they are available for you :) .
You may ask which doulas have already attended births with your midwives. A midwife is NOT a doula. They are there to keep you low risk and safe, a doula is there to help you cope with labor, rub your back, do hip squeezes etc. A good doula makes the midwife's job and husband's job easier, which makes your birth better!

We talk a lot about doulas in the classes I teach because they truly help a woman's labor go faster and they help dad really take and active role.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think it's great that your midwife presented you with all the options. As someone who has hired a doula before, I looked for someone who was great at listening and communication. I also looked for someone who respected my values and provided childbirth education in a non-judgmental fashion. A good doula will also be able to ease the transition of your husband into his new role.

Providing the best birth experience for you and the baby is worth it! Good luck with choosing your doula!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts