Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back with more Montgomery County questions...
Does anyone know of a hypnobirth class or birthing from within class in the area? I was referred to one hypnobirth class out in Baltimore but would prefer to be closer to home if possible.

Also, does anyone know of any CPR, infant CPR, infant/child first-aid classes around? I just figure that stuff would be good to have too!

Thank you

·
Registered
221 Posts
Can't help on the hypnobirth because I went to hospital-based birth classes, but I know Shady Grove Adventist (Rockville) and Holy Cross (Silver Spring) both have infant CPR classes -- check them out on the web. I went to Shady Grove and it seemed like a good class (3 hours long).

·
Registered
152 Posts
When are you due? I'm going to be a certified Hypnobabies instructor by October.

I took Hypnobirthing with my first and Hypnobabies with my second. I found Hypnobabies to be MUCH better. More comprehensive, more information, more scripts to practice with, just overall amazing experience. That's why I'm flying to CA to take the training to become an instructor!!

If you want to save some money and if you think you can be disciplined to do it, there is a home study course (which is what I did with my second). There is also a yahoo group you can join and get lots of good information from other hypnomoms as well as instructors. www.hypnobabies.com

Good choice!

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Holy Cross hospital has infan CPR classes (I work their!) and I dont know aout the birthing classes but they also have birthing classes at Holy Cross. I know the intstructures very well (I work with them as doulas) and it's VERY alternative, not normal hospital crud. I know it's not what you're looking for exactly but I figured I'd throw it out there!

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all of you for your input! I will definitely be signing up for an infant cpr/first aid class at Shady Grove (closest to us).

I'm 22 wks along right now. What is the difference between hypnobabies and hypnobirthing? I had heard both but thought they were the same thing. I've read a bunch of Bradley method books as well but figure a hypno course should kind of go right hand in hand... being based on the idea of relaxation..

Thanks so much for the feedback!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by prettypixels
Thanks to all of you for your input! I will definitely be signing up for an infant cpr/first aid class at Shady Grove (closest to us).

I'm 22 wks along right now. What is the difference between hypnobabies and hypnobirthing? I had heard both but thought they were the same thing. I've read a bunch of Bradley method books as well but figure a hypno course should kind of go right hand in hand... being based on the idea of relaxation..

Thanks so much for the feedback!
Hypnobabies is much more comprehensive. I did Hypnobirthing with my first and found it inadequate. Hypnobabies has a yahoo group www.hypnobabies.com which you can join to get support as you're going through the program.

They both use hypnosis but the hypnobabies materials include materials about natural birth choices, nutrition, and there are more scripts, such as birthing affirmations. I loved the program! (well obviously!) Hypnobabies is a complete childbirth class, whereas the hypnobirthing (when I took it) was just about the hypnosis. I don't know if they've updated it though.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I also recommend Sara Shelley! I have taken prenatal and postnatal yoga from her for a few yrs now and she is great, very knowledgeable and gentle person.

I did both methods, hypnobirthing and hypnobabies, and the latter is much more extensive and gives you more tools to work with. There is a yahoogroup you can join for support, whichever method you choose.

Do a search in mdc because there are other threads on this very topic (the difference between hypnobirthing and hypnobabies).

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey RoseQ, it is looking like you may be the (almost) only hypnobabies instructor in Montgomery County! There is one I found with a 410 area code so out near Baltimore somewhere. I'm definitely going to do the Birthing from Within class in Silver Spring. Do you have any idea where you will be offering classes once you are certified?

I am due in December. And I am not so sure of my self-discipline to do the course on my own!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Quote:

I'm definitely going to do the Birthing from Within class in Silver Spring.
I hope you enjoy it as much as dh and I did. Please say hi to Susan from Leah!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Quote:

Hey RoseQ, it is looking like you may be the (almost) only hypnobabies instructor in Montgomery County! There is one I found with a 410 area code so out near Baltimore somewhere. I'm definitely going to do the Birthing from Within class in Silver Spring. Do you have any idea where you will be offering classes once you are certified?

I am due in December. And I am not so sure of my self-discipline to do the course on my own!

As far as I know, I will be. There is one in AA county, and there will be one in Baltimore (she's taking the same class as me). The class is Sept 20-26, and then I have just have to get my official certification (shouldn't take too long I think). I have a friend due in Dec. so I might try to hold a class ASAP so she can do it. I don't know, but I'm going to do it as soon as I can!
I'll be holding the classes either in my home, or possibly the Maternity Center if the class is full (wouldn't that be nice!). I'm in Gaithersburg. I'll let you know!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts